Rotated Haar-Like Features for Face Detection with In-Plane Rotation
This paper extends the upright face detection framework proposed by Viola et al. 2001 to handle in-plane rotated faces. These haar-like features work inefficiently on rotated faces, so this paper proposes a new set of ±26.565 ° haar-like features which can be calculated quickly to represent the features of rotated faces. Unlike previous face detection techniques in training quantities of samples to build different rotated detectors, with these new features, we address to build different rotated detectors by rotating an upright face detector directly so as to achieve in-plane rotated face detection. This approach is selected because of its computational efficiency, simplicity and training time saving. This proposed method is tested on CMU-MIT rotated test data and yields good results in accuracy and maintains speed advantage.
KeywordsFace Detection Integral Image Upright Face Cascade Detector Rapid Object Detection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Rowley, H., Baluja, S., Kanade, T.: Rotation invariant neural network-based face detection. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 38–44 (1998)Google Scholar
- 5.Viola, P., Jones, M.: Rapid object detection using a boosted cascade of simple features. In: Proceedings of Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 511–518 (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Viola, P., Jones, M.: Fast and robust classification using asymmetric adaBoost and a detector cascade. In: Advances in Neural Information Processing System 14, pp. 1311–1318. MIT Press, Cambridge (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Lienhart, R., Maydt, J.: An extended set of haar-like features for rapid object detection. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Image Processing, New York, pp. 155–162 (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Jones, M.J., Viola, P.: Fast multi-view face detection. In: IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Lin, Y.Y., Liu, T.L.: Robust face detection with multi-class boosting. In: Proceedings of the 2005 IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 680–687 (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Wang, P., Ji, Q.: Learning discriminant features for multi-view face and eye detection. IEEE Computer Society Conference 1, 373–379 (2005)Google Scholar