GeoCube, a Multidimensional Model and Navigation Operators Handling Complex Measures: Application in Spatial OLAP
Data warehouses and OLAP systems help to interactively analyze huge volume of data. Frequently this data contains spatial information which is useful for decision-making process. Spatial OLAP (SOLAP) refers to the integration of spatial data in multidimensional applications at physical, logical and conceptual level. Using spatial measure as a geographical object, i.e. taking in account its geometric and descriptive attributes, raises problems regarding the aggregation operation and the cube navigation in their semantic and implementation aspects. This paper defines an extended multidimensional data model which is able to support complex objects as measures, in order to handle geographical data according with its particular nature in an OLAP context. The model allows the multidimensional navigation process. OLAP operators are described which include this new concept of measure. A prototype of a SOLAP tool that handles geographical object as measures is presented.
KeywordsBoolean Function Aggregation Function Aggregation Mode Multidimensional Model Spatial Measure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Blaschka, M., Sapia, C., Hofling, G., Dinter, B.: Finding Your Way through Multidimensional Data Models. In: Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Database and Expert systems Applications. LNCS, vol. 1490, pp. 198–203. Springer, Heidelberg (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Fidalgo, R.N., Times, V.C., Silva, J., Souza, F.F.: GeoDWFrame: A Framework for Guiding the Design of Geographical Dimensional Schemas. In: Proceedings of Int. Conf. on Data Warehousing and Knowledge Discovery, Zaragosa, Spain, pp. 26–37 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Pedersen, T.B.: Aspects of data modeling and query processing for complex multidimensional data. Ph.D. Thesis, Aalborg University, Aalborg st, Denmark (1998)Google Scholar
- 9.Pourabbas, E.: Cooperation with geographic databases. In: Rafanelli, M. (ed.) Multidimensional Databases: Problems and Solutions, pp. 393–432. Idea Group Publishing (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Rivest, S., Bédard, Y., Marchand, P.: Toward Better Support for Spatial Decision Making: Defining the Characteristics of Spatial On-Line Analytical Processing (SOLAP). Geomatica 55(4), 539–555 (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Stefanovic, N., Han, J., Koperski, K.: Object-Based Selective Materialization for Efficient Implementation of Spatial Data Cubes. IEEE TKDE 12(6), 938–958 (2000)Google Scholar