Reducing Location Update Cost using Multiple Virtual Layers in HMIPv6
Hierarchical Mobile IPv6 (HMIPv6) guarantees to reduce handoff latency, because the MN only registers the new addresses at mobility anchor point (MAP) when the MN moves around access routers (ARs) in the same MAP domain. HMIPv6 still has packet loss problem when the MN moves from one MAP to another. In this paper, a novel location update scheme which further reduces signaling traffic for location update by employing virtual MAP (VMAP) on top of overlapped MAP in HMIPv6, is proposed. This proposed scheme significantly improves performance compared to HMIPv6, in terms of location update rate per user. Also it makes the mobile nodes (MNs) moving around the boundary ARs of adjacent MAP’s become to move within a VMAP. It is certain that this scheme reduce the network resources efficiently by reason of removing the location update. In conclusion, this scheme greatly reduces the packet loss and delay, due to Inter-MAP handoff not occurring.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Johnson, D., Perkins, C., Arkko, J.: Mobility Support in IPv6. IETF RFC 3775 (June 2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Soliman, H.: Mobile IPv6 - Mobility in a Wireless Internet. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.IETF Mobile IP Working Group, http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip6-charter.html
- 5.Soliman, H., E1-Malki, K.: Hierarchical Mobile IPv6 mobility management (HMIPv6). IETF RFC 4140 (August 2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Gustafsson, E., Jonsson, A., Perkins, C.: Mobile IPv4 Regional Registration. IETF Internet-Draft (November 2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Xie, J., Akyildiz, I.F.: A Distributed Dynamic Regional Location Management Scheme for Mobile IP. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing 1(3) (July 2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Woo, M.: Performance Analysis of Mobile IP Regional Registration. IEICE Transactions on Communications E86-B(2) (February 2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Pack, S., Choi, Y.: A Study on Performance of Hierarchical Mobile IPv6 in IP-based Cellular Networks. IEICE Transactions on Communications E87-B(3), 462–469 (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Wu, Z.D.: An Efficient Method for Benefiting the New Feature of Mobile IPv6. In: Proceeding of IASTED, pp. 65–70 (October 2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Schuringa, J.H.: Performance Modeling of Location Management Strategies in Mobile Networks. Master Thesis, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Twente (1995)Google Scholar