Identification and Prediction
In this work the concept of identification is applied in the theory of prediction. This approach was suggested to us by our advisor Professor R. Ahlswede. This and other directions of research can be found also in . Well known is Shannon’s theory of transmission of messages over a noisy channel (). Using the framework of Shannon’s channel model a new concept of information transfer – called identification – was introduced by Ahlswede and Dueck in .
KeywordsPrediction Rule Prediction Problem Comparison Class Sequential Predictor Human Opponent
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Ahlswede, R.: General theory of information transfer, Preprint 97–118, SFB 343 Diskrete Strukturen in der Mathematik, Universität Bielefeld (1997); General theory of information transfer:updated, General Theory of Information Transfer and Combinatorics, a Special Issue of Discrete Applied Mathematics (to appear)Google Scholar
- 5.Blackwell, D.: Controlled random walks. In: Proc. Int. Congr. Mathematicians, 1954, vol. III, pp. 336–338. North Holland, Amsterdam (1956)Google Scholar
- 7.Cover, T.M.: Behavior of sequential predictors of binary sequences. In: Proc. 4th Prague Conf. Inform. Theory, Statistical Decision Functions, Random Processes, 1965, pp. 263–272. Publishing House of the Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences, Prague (1967)Google Scholar
- 13.Hannan, J.F.: Approximation to Bayes risk in repeated plays, Contributions to the Theory of Games. Annals of Mathematics Studies, vol. III, Princeton, NJ, No. 39, pp. 97–139 (1957)Google Scholar
- 14.Robbins, H.: Asymptotically subminimax solutions of compound statistical decision problems. In: Proc. 2nd Berkeley Symp. Math. Stat. Probab., pp. 131–148 (1951)Google Scholar
- 15.Shannon, C.E.: A mathematical theory of communication. Bell System Tech. J. 27, 379–423, 623–656 (1948)Google Scholar
- 16.Shannon, C.E.: Prediction and entropy of printed English. Bell Sys. Tech. J. 30, 5–64 (1951)Google Scholar
- 17.Shannon, C.E.: The mind reading machine. In: Wyner, A.D., Sloane, N.J.A. (eds.) Bell Laboratories Memorandum, 1953: Shannon’s Collected Papers, pp. 688–689. IEEE Press, Los Alamitos (1993)Google Scholar