Constraint Programming Models for Graceful Graphs
The problem of finding a graceful labelling of a graph, or proving that the graph is not graceful, has previously been modelled as a CSP. A new and much faster CSP model of the problem is presented, with several new results for graphs whose gracefulness was previously unknown. Several classes of graph that are conjectured to be graceful only for small instances are investigated: after a certain size, it appears that for some of these classes the search to prove that there is no graceful labelling is essentially the same for each successive instance. The possibility of constructing a proof of the conjecture based on the search is discussed.
KeywordsSearch Tree Node Variable Edge Label Node Model Variable Symmetry
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Beldiceanu, N.: Global constraints as graph properties on structured network of elementary constraints of the same type. Technical Report Technical Report T2000/01, SICS (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Bundy, A.: A Very Mathematical Dilemma. Computer Journal (in press, 2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Crawford, J., Ginsberg, M., Luks, E., Roy, A.: Symmetry-Breaking Predicates for Search Problems. In: Proceedings KR 1996, pp. 149–159 (November 1996)Google Scholar
- 6.Gallian, J.A.: A Dynamic Survey of Graph Labeling (DS6), 9th edn. The Electronic Journal of Combinatorics (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Gent, I.P., Smith, B.M.: Symmetry Breaking During Search in Constraint Programming. In: Horn, W. (ed.) Proceedings ECAI 2000, the European Conference on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 599–603 (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Golomb, S.W.: How to number a graph. In: Read, R.C. (ed.) Graph Theory and Computing, pp. 23–37. Academic Press, London (1972)Google Scholar
- 10.Lustig, I.J., Puget, J.-F.: Program Does Not Equal Program: Constraint Programming and Its Relationship to Mathematical Programming. INTERFACES 31(6), 29–53 (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Petrie, K.E., Smith, B.M.: Symmetry Breaking in Graceful Graphs. Technical Report APES-56-2003 APES Research Group (2003), Available from: http://www.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~apes/apesreports.html
- 12.Puget, J.-F.: Breaking symmetries in all different problems. In: Proceedings of IJCAI 2005, pp. 272–277 (2005)Google Scholar
- 13.Smith, B., Petrie, K.: Graceful Graphs: Results from Constraint Programming (2003), http://4c.ucc.ie/~bms/Graceful/