A Forward Look at Computational Support for Conceptual Design
Future research needs for computational support for conceptual design are examined. The material is the result of the work of a so called design cluster. The cluster has, through a series of workshops, defined what it believes are the salient areas in which further research is needed. The work has a strong people centred approach as it is believed that, for the near future, it is only through a combination of man and machine that acceptable designs will be achieved. The cluster has identified 5 key areas and 39 sub-classes. The discussion focuses on the key areas and how these link to future research requirements in people centred computation for conceptual design.
KeywordsConceptual Design Design Team Cluster Member Intellectual Property Right Physical Science Research Council
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Amor, R., Betts, M., Coetzee, G.: IT for research: Recent work and future directions. ITcon 7, 245–258 (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Vanegas J.: http://www.ce.gatech.edu/research/NSF-FIATECH_Charrette/index13.htm (2004)
- 4.Parmee, I., Abraham, J.: Supporting implicit learning via the visualization of COGA multi-objective data. In: Proc. EVOTEC, pp. 395–402. IEEE, New York (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Parmee, I., Hall, A., Miles, J., Noyes, J., Simons, C.: Discovery in Design: Developing a People Centred Computational Approach. In: Design 2006, Dubrovnik Croatia (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Ullman, D., Stauffer, L., Diettrich, T.: Preliminary results of an experimental study of the mechanical design process. In: Waldron, M. (ed.) NSF workshop on the Design Process, Ohio State Univ., pp. 143–188 (1987)Google Scholar
- 7.Zhang, Y., Miles, J.: Representing the problem domain in stochastic search algorithms. In: Schnellenbach-Held, M., Hartmann, M. (eds.) Next Generation Intelligent Systems in Engineering, EG-ICE, Essen, pp. 156–168 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Zhang, Y., Wang, K., Shaw, D., Miles, J., Parmee, I., Kwan, A.: Representation and its Impact on Topological Search in Evolutionary Computation. In: Hughes, R. (ed.) ICCCBE XI, Montreal, Canada (2006)Google Scholar