Collaborative Engineering Software Development: Ontology-Based Approach
This paper proposes an ontology-based approach to facilitate collaboration between domain experts and software engineers for development of engineering software applications. In this approach, ontologies are employed to serve as the knowledge interfaces for encapsulating the analysis units identified from the solution workflow of the targeted problem domain and for reducing the collaboration complexity and knowledge coupling between domain problem solving and software engineering in software development. In this paper, the proposed ontology-based software development approach is discussed. Some considerations are given to the software development environment needed for realization of the proposed approach. In addition, the application of the proposed approach is demonstrated using an engineering software development example and a prototype ontology-based software development environment.
KeywordsSoftware Development Reinforced Concrete Domain Expert Plastic Hinge Analysis Unit
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Booch, G.: Object-Oriented Analysis and Design with Applications, 2nd edn. Addison Wesley, Redwood City California (1994)Google Scholar
- 7.Antoniou, G., van Harmelen, F.: A Semantic Web Primer. The MIT Press, Massachusetts (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.McGuinness, D.L., van Harmelen, F.: OWL Web Ontology Language Overview. W3C Recommendation, World Wide Web Consortium (2004), http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-features/
- 10.Noy, N.F., McGuinness, D.L.: Ontology Development 101: A Guide to Creating Your First Ontology. Technical Report KSL-01-05, Knowledge Systems Laboratory (2001)Google Scholar
- 12.Sung, Y.C., Liu, K.Y., Su, C.K., Tsai, I.C., Chang, K.C.: A Study on Pushover Analyses of Reinforced Concrete Columns. Structural Engineering and Mechanics 21(1), 35–52 (2005)Google Scholar