XRMCCP: A XCP Framework Based Reliable Multicast Transport Protocol
This paper introduces a XCP framework based reliable multicast transport protocol XRMCCP (XCP framework based Reliable Multicast Congestion controlled protocol) that has been designed to be simple, scalable and reliable for high bandwidth-delay product (BDP) networks. We observe that TCP Friendly Throughput Equation (TFTE), which many current multicast transport protocols use to estimate available rates of multicast sessions, has limits of performance in high BDP networks. XRMCCP generalizes XCP framework to support one-to-many transport congestion control. The scalability issue is addressed with an exponential timers scheme that is also used to estimate the number of receivers involved in the communication. The paper presents a number of simulation results on its performance. Besides, some design choices are evaluated.
KeywordsCongestion Control Round Trip Time Congestion Window Fairness Index Bottleneck Link
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Widmer, J., Handley, M.: Extending Equation-based Congestion Control to Multicast Applications. In: Proc. ACM SIGCOMM 2001, San Diego (August 2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Rizzo, L.: PGMCC: A TCP-friendly single-rate multicast congestion control scheme. In: ACM SIGCOMM 2000, Stockholm (August 2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Floyd, S., Handley, M., Padhye, J., Widmer, J.: TCP friendly rate control (TFRC): Protocol specification. RFC 3448 (January 2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Xu, L., Harfoush, K., Rhee, I.: Binary Increase Congestion Control (BIC) for Fast Long-Distance Networks. In: INFOCOM 2004 (March 2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Rhee, I., Xu, L.: CUBIC: A New TCP-Friendly High-Speed TCP Variant. In: PFLDNet 2005 (February 2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Jin, C., Wei, D., Low, S.: FAST TCP: Motivation, Architecture, Algorithms, Performance. In: INFOCOM 2004 (March 2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Floyd, S.: HighSpeed TCP for Large Congestion Windows. IETF RFC 3649 (December 2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Kirschberg, J.M., Delgado, M.S., Ribes, S.S.: RCCMP: A TCP-friendly Reliable Multicast Transport Protocol. In: Proceedings of the 10th IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC 2005) (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Rhee, I., Xu, L.: Limitations of Equation-based Congestion Control. In: SIGCOMM 2005 (August 2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Katabi, D., Handley, M., Rohrs, C.: Congestion Control for High Bandwidth-Delay Product Networks. In: SIGCOMM 2002 (August 2002)Google Scholar
- 11.The network simulator ns-2, http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns
- 12.Li, J., Kalyanaraman, S.: ORMCC: A Simple and Effective Single-Rate Multicast Congestion control Scheme (July 2002) (submitted)Google Scholar