Contour-Based Shape Retrieval Using Dynamic Time Warping
A dissimilarity measure for shapes described by their contour, the Cyclic Dynamic Time Warping (CDTW) dissimilarity, is introduced. The dissimilarity measure is based on Dynamic Time Warping of cyclic strings, i.e., strings with no definite starting/ending points. The Cyclic Edit Distance algorithm by Maes cannot be directly extended to compute the CDTW dissimilarity, as we show in the paper. We present an algorithm that computes the CDTW dissimilarity in O(mnlogn) time, where m and n are the lengths of the cyclic strings. Shape retrieval with the new dissimilarity measure is experimentally compared with the WARP system on a standard corpus.
KeywordsOptimal Path Dynamic Time Warping Dissimilarity Measure Optimal Alignment Edit Operation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Folkers, A., Samet, H.: Content-based Image Retrieval Using Fourier Descriptors on a Logo Database. In: Proc of the 16th Int Conf on Pattern Recognition, pp. 521–524 (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Marzal, A., Barrachina, S.: Speeding up the computation of the edit distance for cyclic strings. In: Int. Conference on Pattern Recognition, pp. 271–280 (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Mollineda, R.A., Vidal, E., Casacuberta, F.: Efficient Techniques for a very Accurate Measurement of Dissimilarities between Cyclic Patterns, vol. 1876, pp. 121–126. Springer, Heidelberg (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Peris, G., Marzal, A.: Fast Cyclic Edit Distance Computation with Weighted Edit Costs in Classification. In: Proc. Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition, vol. 4 (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Sankoff, D., Kruskal, J. (eds.): Time warps, string edits, and macromolecules: the theory and practice of sequence comparison. Addison-Wesley, Reading (1983)Google Scholar
- 12.Zhang, D., Lu, G.: A Comparative Study of Fourier Descriptors for Shape Representation and Retrieval. In: 5th Asian Conf. on Computer Vision (January 2002)Google Scholar