Agent Behavior Representation in INGENIAS
Nowadays, we have different agent oriented methodologies that enable developers to produce agent oriented designs. One of the recurrent problems of these methodologies is how to describe the behaviour of agents within a system. A developer needs primitives to express autonomy, proactivity, and social concerns of his agents, but there are problems in understanding what does these elements mean, beyond any natural language explanation. There is a clear need of semantic models understandable by average engineers. These models could help in foreseeing the impact of autonomy with respect system goals, or determining if, in an agent specification, a task will ever be scheduled for execution. This paper presents a proposal of semantic model for the visual modelling language used in INGENIAS, a project started in 2002 and considered the inheritor of MESSAGE/UML.
KeywordsMental State Modal Logic Semantic Model Agent Behavior State Base Description
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bordini, R., Hübner, J.F.: Java-based AgentSpeak interpreter used with saci for multi-agent distribution over the net (2004), http://jason.sourceforge.net/Jason.pdf
- 2.Carver, N., Lesser, V.R.: The Evolution of Blackboard Control Architectures. UM-CS-1992-071. Department of Computer Science, University Massachusetts (1992)Google Scholar
- 4.Fikes, R., Nilsson, J.: STRIPS: A New Approach to the Application of Theorem Proving to Problem Solving. Artificial Intelligence 2 (1971)Google Scholar
- 5.Gomez-Sanz, J.J.: Modelado de Sistemas Multi-Agente. Dpto. Sistemas Informáticos y Programación. Madrid, Universidad Complutense de Madrid (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Mascardi, V.: A Survey on Languages for Programming BDI-style Agents. PROMAS Technical Forum, Ljubljana, Slovenia (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Rao, A.S., Georgeff, M.P.: Modeling Rational Agents within a BDIArchitecture. In: 2nd International Conference on Principles of Knowledge Representation and Reasoning (KR’91), Morgan Kaufmann publishers Inc, San Francisco (1991)Google Scholar
- 13.Wooldridge, M.: Agent-based Software Engineering. In: IEEE Proceedings on Software Engineering, vol. 144(1), pp. 26–37 (1997)Google Scholar