Using PCA-Based Neural Network Committee Model for Early Warning of Bank Failure
As the Basel-II Accord is deemed to be an international standard to require essential capital ratios for all commercial banks, early warning of bank failure becomes critical more than ever. In this study, we propose the use of combining multiple neural network models based on transformed input variables to predict bank failure in the early stage. Experimental results show that: 1) PCA-based feature transformation technique effectively promotes an early warning capability of neural network models by reducing type-I error rate; and 2) the committee of multiple neural networks can significantly improve the predictability of a single neural network model when PCA-based transformed features are employed, especially in the long-term forecasting by showing comparable predictability of raw features models in short-term period.
KeywordsNeural Network Model Commercial Bank Financial Ratio Bank Failure Bankruptcy Prediction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Altman, E.I.: Financial Ratios, Discriminant analysis and the prediction of corporate bankruptcy. Journal of Finance, 589–609 (1968)Google Scholar
- 4.Beaver, W.: Market prices, financial ratios, and the prediction of failure. Journal of Accounting Research, 170–192 (1968)Google Scholar
- 6.Hansen, L.K., Salamon, P.: Neural network ensembles. IEEE Trans. Systems, Man, and Cybernetics 12(10), 993–1001 (1990)Google Scholar
- 7.Odom, M.D., Sharda, R.: A Neural Network Model for Bankruptcy Prediction. In: International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, vol. 2, pp. 163–168 (1990)Google Scholar
- 9.Rumelhart, D.E., Hinton, G.E., Williams, R.J.: Learning internal representations by error propagation. In: Parallel Data Processing I, ch. 8, pp. 318–362. The MIT Press, Cambridge (1986)Google Scholar