A Venation-Based Leaf Image Classification Scheme
Most content-based image retrieval systems use image features such as textures, colors, and shapes. However, in the case of leaf image, it is not appropriate to rely on color or texture features only because such features are similar in most leaves. In this paper, we propose a novel leaf image retrieval scheme which first analyzes leaf venation for leaf categorization and then extracts and utilizes shape feature to find similar ones from the categorized group in the database. The venation of a leaf corresponds to the blood vessel of organisms. Leaf venations are represented using points selected by the curvature scale scope corner detection method on the venation image, and categorized by calculating the density of feature points using non-parametric estimation density. We show its effectiveness by performing several experiments on the prototype system.
KeywordsFeature Point Image Retrieval Query Image Secondary Vein Leaf Image
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kim, S., Tak, Y., Nam, Y., Hwang, E.: mClover: mobile Content-based Leaf Image Retrieval System. In: ACM Multimedia 2005 (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Sonobe, H., Takagi, S., Yoshimoto, F.: Mobile Computing System for Fish Image Retrieval. In: Proc. of International Workshop on Advanced Image Technology (IWAIT) (poster session), Singapore, January 2004, pp. 33–37 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Sklansky, C., et al.: Minimum perimeter polygons of digitized silhouetts (1972)Google Scholar
- 6.Im, C., Nishida, H., Kunii, T.L.: Recognizing Plant Species by Normalized Leaf Shapes. In: Vision Interface 1999, Trois-Rivières, Canada, May 19-21, pp. 397–404 (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Lee, C.B.: Illustrated flora of Korea. In: Hangmoonsa (1999) ISBN-8971871954Google Scholar
- 9.Mokhtarian, F., Suomela, R.: Curvature Scale Scope Based Image Corner Detection. In: Proc. European Signal Processing Conference, Greece, pp. 2549–2552 (1998)Google Scholar
- 14.The MathWorks - MATLAB and Simulink for Technical Computing, http://www.mathworks.com