Incremental Aggregation of Latent Semantics Using a Graph-Based Energy Model
A graph-theoretic model for incrementally detecting latent associations among terms in a document corpus is presented. The algorithm is based on an energy model that quantifies similarity in context between pairs of terms. Latent associations that are established in turn contribute to the energy of their respective contexts. The proposed model avoids the polysemy problem where spurious associations across terms in different contexts are established due to the presence of one or more common polysemic terms. The algorithm works in an incremental fashion where energy values are adjusted after each document is added to the corpus. This has the advantage that computation is localized around the set of terms contained in the new document, thus making the algorithm run much faster than conventional matrix computations used for singular value decompositions.
KeywordsSingular Value Decomposition Energy Model Latent Semantic Analysis Spurious Association Latent Semantic Indexing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bassu, D., Behrens, C.: Distributed LSI: Scalable Concept-based Information Retrieval with High Semantic Resolution. In: Proceedings of the 3rd SIAM International Conference on Data Mining (Text Mining Workshop), San Francisco, CA, May 3 (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Chakrabarti, S.: Mining the web: Discovering knowledge from hypertext data, 1st edn. Elsevier Science, USA (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Dumais, S.T.: Enhancing Performance in Latent Semantic Indexing (LSI) Retrieval. Technical Report, Bellcore (1992)Google Scholar
- 5.Gorell, G., Webb, B.: Generalized Hebbian Algorithm for Latent Semantic Analysis. In: Proceedings of InterSpeech 2005, Lisbon (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Hoffman, T.: Probabilistic Latent Semantic Analysis. Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence, UAI 1999, Stockholm (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Kleinberg, J.M.: Authoritative Sources in a Hyperlinked Environment. In: Proceedings of ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (1998)Google Scholar
- 9.Rachakonda, A.R.: Incremental Aggregation of Latent Semantics. Master’s Thesis. International Institute of Information Technology, Bangalore (June 2006)Google Scholar
- 10.van Rijsbergen, C.J.: Automatic Text Analysis. In: Information Retrieval, 2nd edn. (1999)Google Scholar
- 11.Carnegie Mellon University World Wide Knowledge Base (Web-KB) project as of (February 15, 2006), http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~webkb/