CLEF 2005: Multilingual Retrieval by Combining Multiple Multilingual Ranked Lists
We participated in two tasks: Multi-8 two-years-on retrieval and Multi-8 results merging. For the multi-8 two-years-on retrieval work, algorithms are proposed to combine simple multilingual ranked lists into a more accurate ranked list. Empirical study shows that the approach of combining multilingual retrieval results can substantially improve the accuracies over single multilingual ranked lists. The Multi-8 results merging task is viewed as similar to the results merging task of federated search. Query-specific and language-specific models are proposed to calculate comparable document scores for a small amount of documents and estimate logistic models by using information of these documents. The logistic models are used to estimate comparable scores for all documents and thus the documents can be sorted into a final ranked list. Experimental results demonstrate the advantage of the query-specific and language-specific models against several other alternatives.
KeywordsAverage Precision Retrieval Method Query Expansion Mean Average Precision Retrieval Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Callan, J., Croft, W.B., Broglio, J.: TREC and TIPSTER experiments with INQUERY. Information Processing and Management 31(3) (1995)Google Scholar
- 3.Chen, A., Gey, F.C.: Cross-language Retrieval Experiments at CLEF-2003. In: Peters, C. (ed.) Results of the CLEF2002 cross-language evaluation forum (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Kamps, J., Monz, C., de Rijke, M., Sigurbjörnsson, B.: The University of Am-sterdam at CLEF 2003. In: Peters, C. (ed.) Results of the CLEF2003 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Lee, J.H.: Analyses of multiple evidence combination. In: Proceedings of the 20th Annual Int’l ACM SIGIR Conference (1997)Google Scholar
- 6.Martinez-Santiago, M.M., Urena, A.: SINAI on CLEF 2002: Experiments with merging strategies. In: Peters, C.(ed.) Results of the CLEF2002 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Ogilvie, P., Callan, J.: Experiments using the Lemur toolkit. In: Proceedings of the Tenth Text Retrieval Conference (TREC-10) (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Robertson, S., Walker, S.: Some simple effective approximations to the 2-poisson model for probabilistic weighted retrieval. In: Proceedings of the 17th Annual International ACM SIGIR Conference (1994)Google Scholar
- 9.Rogati, M., Yang, Y.M.: CONTROL: CLEF-2003 with Open, Transparent Resources Off-Line. Experiments with merging strategies. In: Peters, C.(ed.) Results of the CLEF2003 (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Savoy, J.: Report on CLEF-2003 Experiments. In: Peters, C. (ed.) Results of the CLEF2003 cross-language evaluation forum (2003)Google Scholar