Satellite-Enabled Interactive Education: Scenarios and Systems Architectures
There are specific sectors of the economy that can benefit from satellite-based tele-education. Areas, such as maritime and agriculture, share common needs for both broadband connectivity at remote geographical areas that cannot otherwise be covered, and for innovative content for tele-education purposes. Furthermore, each area has special requirements with regard to the type of content to be delivered. In this paper we propose a set of architectural designs and case scenarios that will realise such interactive end-to-end education systems based on satellite communications. Services requirements in this setting are also identified and discussed.
KeywordsLearn Management System Fire Fighting Satellite Network Virtual Classroom Common Room
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Urdan, T., Weggen, C.: Corporate E-Learning: Exploring a New Frontier (accessed on April 3, 2006), http://www.spectrainteractive.com/pdfs/CorporateELearingHamrecht.pdf
- 2.Hambrech, W.R.: Corporate e-Learning: Exploring a new Frontier (accessed on April 3, 2006), http://www.learnchamp.com/upload/e-Learning_Exploring_New_Frontier.pdf
- 3.Koskinen, T., Stergioulas, L.K., Denoual, Y.: European Roadmap for Professional e-Training, Barcelona (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Stergioulas, L.K., Kamtsiou, V., Koskinen, T.: A roadmapping framework for technology-enhanced professional training. In: Proceedings of the 8th IFIP World Conference on Computers in Education (WCCE 2005), Cape Town, South Africa, July 4-7 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Santos, M.: Tendencias en la formación con medios digitales: el e-Learning (accessed April 3, 2006), http://www.unav.es/digilab/ric/textos/e_learning.html
- 6.Isabel: Isabel Technical Documentation (accessed on April 12, 2006), available on: http://www.agora-2000.com/products/isabel/documentation.html
- 7.Netmeeting: Microsoft Netmeeting Features (accessed on 12 April 2006), available at: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/NetMeeting/Features/default.ASP