Developing Collaborative Virtual Learning Community for the Korean Community Health Practitioners
Community Health Post workers are mainly registered nurses. They provide first-level primary health care to the numerous underserved rural communities in Korea. The primary goal of our project is to provide technological foundation for the community health practitioners to form a virtual community that collaboratively solves problems and learns to improve their patient caring and treatment skills. The main enabling technology is a collaboratively maintained knowledge management system, which assists the community health practitioners to make appropriate diagnoses and also to determine the corresponding expected outcomes and interventions to perform given the patient’s symptoms. The knowledge management system includes a knowledge base, which is converted from the standardized nursing process guidelines. In addition, the knowledge management system is also used as a case retrieval system so that the community health practitioners can compare the current case in progress with the similar prior cases. We have developed a prototype system and finished a preliminary evaluation of the system.
KeywordsCommunity Health Virtual Community Treatment Skill Knowledge Management System Nursing Diagnosis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Kim, E.S.: Research on the Community Health Practitioner Activity Analysis and Education Curriculum Development. In: International Development Research Centre Research Report (1988)Google Scholar
- 3.Republic of Korea. The Special Measures Law Enforcement Rule for Health and Medical Care for the Farming and Fishing Villages: Ministry of Health and Public Welfare Decree No. 264 (2003) Google Scholar
- 4.Doenges, M., Moorehead, M.F.: Application of Nursing Process and Nursing Diagnosis: An Interactive Text for Diagnostic Reasoning, 4th edn. F.A. Davis Co., Philadelphia (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Scriven, M.: Beyond Formative and Summative Evaluation. In: McLaughlin, M.W., Phillips, E.D.C. (eds.) Evaluation and Education: A Quarter Century. University of Chicago Press, Chicago (1991)Google Scholar
- 7.Project jxta, http://www.jxta.org
- 8.Jxta abstraction layer, http://ezel.jxta.org/jal.html
- 9.Blanquer, I., Hernandez, V., Mas, F.: A P2P Platform for Sharing Radiological Images and Diagnoses. In: Proceedings of Distributed Databases and processing in Medical Image Computing Workshop, Rennes, France (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Wenger, E.: Communities of Practice: Learning, Meaning, and Identity. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1998)Google Scholar