An Admission Control and Traffic Engineering Model for Diffserv-MPLS Networks
This paper presents a Bandwidth Broker (BB) based admission control and traffic engineering model for Diffserv supported MPLS networks. The proposed model uses a multi-path model in which several paths are pre-established between each ingress-egress router pair. As a central agent in each domain, the BB performs admission control on behalf of its entire domain via pre-established paths. The proposed model reduces the network congestion by adaptively balancing the load among multiple paths based on measurement of path utilization state. It increases the network core scalability by minimizing the core routers’ state maintenance and signaling operation. The experimental results are provided to verify the achievements of our model.
KeywordsAdmission Control Engineer Model Label Switching Path Assured Forward Admission Control Mechanism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Nichols, K., Jacobson, V., Zhang, L.: A Two-bit Differentiated Services Architecture for the Internet, RFC 2638 (July 1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Elwalid, A., Jin, C., Low, S., Widjaja, I.: MATE: MPLS Adaptive Traffic Engineering. In: IEEE INFOCOM 2001 (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Rosen, E., Viswanathan, A., Callon, R.: Multiprotocol Label Switching Architecture, RFC 3031Google Scholar
- 4.Black, S., et al.: An Architecture for Differentiated Services, RFC2475 (December 1998)Google Scholar
- 5.Nichols, K., Carpenter, B.: Definition of Differentiated Services Per Domain Behaviors and Rules for their Specification, RFC 3086Google Scholar
- 6.Hopps, C.: Analysis of an Equal-Cost Multi-Path Algorithm, RFC 2992 (November 2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Nelakuditi, S., Zhang, Z.-L., Tsang, R.P., Du, D.H.C.: Adaptive Proportional Routing: A Localized QoS Routing Approach. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (December 2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Christin, N., Liebeherr, J., Abdelzaher, T.: A Quantitative Assured Forwarding Service. In: Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM 2002 (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Aukia, P., Kodialam, M., Koppol, P.: RATES: A server for MPLS Traffic Engineering. IEEE network magazine (March 2000)Google Scholar
- 11.Mantar, H., et al.: An Intra-domain Resource Management Model for Diffserv Networks. Journal of High Speed Networks 15, 185–205 (2006)Google Scholar