RDF as Graph-Based, Diagrammatic Logic
The Resource Description Framework (RDF) is the basic standard for representing information in the Semantic Web. It is mainly designed to be machine-readable and -processable. This paper takes the opposite side of view: RDF is investigated as a logic system designed for the needs of humans. RDF is developed as a logic system based on mathematical graphs, i.e., as diagrammatic reasoning system. As such, is has humanly-readable, diagrammatic representations. Moreover, a sound and complete calculus is provided. Its rules are suited to act on the diagrammatic representations. Finally, some normalforms for the graphs are introduced, and the calculus is modified to suit them.
KeywordsResource Description Framework Diagrammatic Logic Resource Description Framework Graph Mathematical Graph Complete Calculus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hayes, J.: A Graph Model for RDF. Diploma thesis, Technische Universität Darmstadt, Department of Computer Science, Germany (2004), http://purl.org/net/jhayes/rdfgraphmodel.html
- 2.Hayes, J., Gutierrez, C.: Bipartite Graphs as Intermediate Model for RDF. In: McIlraith, S.A., Plexousakis, D., van Harmelen, F. (eds.) ISWC 2004. LNCS, vol. 3298, Springer, Heidelberg (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Hayes, P.: RDF Semantics: W3C Recommendation. February 10 (2004), http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/
- 4.Hayes, P., Menzel, C.: A Semantics for the Knowledge Interchange Format. In: Proceedings of 2001 Workshop on the IEEE Standard Upper Ontology (August 2001), http://reliant.teknowledge.com/IJCAI01/HayesMenzel-SKIF-IJCAI2001.pdf
- 5.Klyne, G., Carroll, J.J.: Resource Description Framework (RDF): Concepts and Abstract Syntax. W3C Recommendation, http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-rdf-concepts-20040210/
- 6.Kremer, R.: Visual Languages for Konwledge Representation. In: Proc. of KAW 1998, Banff, Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (1998)Google Scholar
- 7.Larkin, J.H., Simon, H.A.: Why a diagram is (sometimes) worth ten thousand words. Cognitive Science 11, 65–99Google Scholar
- 8.Manola, F., Miller, E.: RDF Primer, http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-primer/