Using Fuzzy Patterns for Gene Selection and Data Reduction on Microarray Data
The advent of DNA microarray technology has supplied a large volume of data to many fields like machine learning and data mining. Intelligent support is essential for managing and interpreting this great amount of information. One of the well-known constraints specifically related to microarray data is the large number of genes in comparison with the small number of available experiments. In this context, the ability of design methods capable of overcoming current limitations of state-of-the-art algorithms is crucial to the development of successful applications. In this paper we demonstrate how a supervised fuzzy pattern algorithm can be used to perform DNA microarray data reduction over real data. The benefits of our method can be employed to find biologically significant insights relating to meaningful genes in order to improve previous successful techniques. Experimental results on acute myeloid leukemia diagnosis show the effectiveness of the proposed approach.
KeywordsSupport Vector Machine Acute Myeloid Leukemia Microarray Data Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia Gene Selection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cakmakov, D., Bennani, Y.: Feature selection for pattern recognition. Informa Press (2002)Google Scholar
- Zheng, G., Olusegun, E., Narasimhan, G.: Neural network classifiers and gene selection methods for microarray data on human lung adenocarcinoma. In: Proc. of the CAMDA 2003 Conference, pp. 63–67 (2003)Google Scholar
- Li, L., Darden, T.A., Weinberg, C.R., Levine, A.J., Pedersen, L.G.: Gene assessment and sample classification for gene expression data using a genetic algorithm/k-nearest neighbor method. Combinatorial Chemistry and High Throughput Screening 4(8), 727–739 (2001)Google Scholar
- Liu, L., Wan, C.R., Wang, L.P.: Unsupervised gene selection via spectral biclustering. In: Proc. of the International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, pp. 1681–1686 (2005)Google Scholar
- Jaeger, J., Sengupta, R., Ruzzo, W.L.: Improved gene selection for classification of microarrays. In: Proc. of the PSB 2003 Conference, pp. 53–64 (2003)Google Scholar
- Qi, H.: Feature selection and kNN fusion in molecular classification of multiple tumor types. In: Proc. of the METMBS 2002 Conference (2002)Google Scholar
- Fdez-Riverola, F., Díaz, F., Corchado, J.M., Hernández, J.M., San Miguel, J.: Improving Gene Selection in Microarray Data Analysis using Fuzzy Patterns inside a CBR System. In: Proc. of the ICCBR 2005 Conference, pp. 23–26 (2005)Google Scholar
- Díaz, F., Fdez-Riverola, F., Corchado, J.M.: GENE-CBR: a Case-Based Reasoning Tool for Cancer Diagnosis using Microarray Datasets. Computational Intelligence, (in Press) ISSN 0824-7935Google Scholar