Biased Minimax Probability Machine Active Learning for Relevance Feedback in Content-Based Image Retrieval
In this paper we apply Biased Minimax Probability Machine (BMPM) to address the problem of relevance feedback in Content-based Image Retrieval (CBIR). In our proposed methodology we treat relevance feedback task in CBIR as an imbalanced learning task which is more reasonable than traditional methods since the negative instances largely outnumber the positive instances. Furthermore we incorporate active learning in order to improve the framework performance, i.e., try to reduce the number of iterations used to achieve the optimal boundary between relevant and irrelevant images. Different from previous works, this model builds up a biased classifier and achieves the optimal boundary using fewer iterations. Experiments are performed to evaluate the efficiency of our method, and promising experimental results are obtained.
KeywordsImage Retrieval Relevance Feedback Relevant Image Optimal Boundary CBIR System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cox, I., Miller, M., Minka, T., Yianilos, P.: An optimized interaction strategy for bayesian relevance feedback. In: Proceedings of 1998 IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, Santa Barbara, USA, pp. 553–558 (1998)Google Scholar
- Hoi, C.H., Chan, C.H., Huang, K., Lyu, M.R., King, I.: Biased support vector machine for relevance feedback in image retrieval. In: Proceedings of International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, Budapest, Hungary, pp. 3189–3194 (2004)Google Scholar
- Huang, K., Yang, H., King, I., Lyu, M.R.: Learning classifiers from imbalanced data based on biased minimax probability machine. In: Proceedings of IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 558–563 (2004)Google Scholar
- Laaksonen, J., Koskela, M., Oja, E.: PicSOM: Self-organizing maps for contentbased image retrieval. In: Proceedings of International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, Washington, DC, July 1999, pp. 10–16 (1999)Google Scholar
- Lewis, D., Gale, W.: A sequential algorithm for training text classifiers. In: Proceedings of ACM International Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, Dublin, IE, pp. 3–12 (1994)Google Scholar
- MacArthur, S., Brodley, C., Shyu, C.: Relevance feedback decision trees in content-based image retrieval. In: IEEE Workshop on Content-based Access of Image and Video Libraries, pp. 68–72 (2000)Google Scholar
- Smith, J., Chang, S.F.: Automated image retrieval using color and texture. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (November 1996)Google Scholar
- Tong, S., Chang, E.: Support vector machine active learning for image retrieval. In: Proceedings of ACM International Conference on Multimedia, pp. 107–118 (2001)Google Scholar