Software Safety Lifecycles and the Methods of a Programmable Electronic Safety System for a Nuclear Power Plant
This paper describes the relationship between the overall safety lifecycle and the software safety lifecycle during the development of the software based safety systems of Nuclear Power Plants. This includes the design and evaluation activities of the components as well as the system. This paper also compares the safety lifecycle and planning activities defined in IEC 61508 with those in IEC 61513, IEC 60880, IEEE 7-4.3.2, and IEEE 1228. Using the Korean KNICS (Korean Nuclear Instrumentation and Control System) project as an example, the software safety lifecycle is described by comparing it to the software development, testing, and safety analysis processes of international standards. The safety assessment of the software for the KNICS Reactor Protection System and Programmable Logic Controller is a joint Korean/German project. The assessment methods applied in the project and the experiences gained from this project are presented.
KeywordsNuclear Power Plant Programmable Logic Controller Fault Tree Analysis Fault Tree Analysis Software Requirement Specification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Leveson, N.G., Stolzy, J.L.: Safety analysis of Ada programs using fault trees. IEEE Transactions on Reliability R-32(5) (1983)Google Scholar
- 3.Lindner, A., Wach, D.: Experiences gained from independent assessment in licensing of advanced I&C systems in nuclear power plants. Nuclear Technology 143, 197–207 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Lee, J.S., Kwon, K.C., Cha, S.D.: Software safety analysis of digital protection system requirements using a qualitative formal method. Nuclear Technology 147, 227–239 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Leveson, N.G.: Safeware: system safety and computers. Addison Wesley, Reading (1995)Google Scholar
- 6.IEC 61508-1, Functional safety of electrical/electronic/programmable electronic safety-related systems –Part 1: General requirements Google Scholar
- 7.IEC 61508-2, Functional safety of electrical/electronic/programmable electronic safety-related systems –Part 2: Requirements for electrical/electronic/programmable electronic safety-related systems Google Scholar
- 8.IEC 61508-3, Functional safety of electrical/electronic/programmable electronic safety-related systems –Part 3: Software requirements Google Scholar
- 9.IEC 60880, Nuclear Power Plants – I&C systems important to safety – Software aspects for computer-based systems performing category A functions Google Scholar
- 10.IEC 61513, Nuclear Power Plants – Instrumentation and control for systems important to safety – General requirements for systems Google Scholar
- 11.IEEE Std. 7-4.3.2-2003, IEEE Standard Criteria for Digital Computers in Safety Systems of Nuclear Power Generating Stations Google Scholar
- 12.IEEE Std. 1228-1994, IEEE Standard for Software Safety Plan Google Scholar