Predictive and Descriptive Approaches to Learning Game Rules from Vision Data
Systems able to learn from visual observations have a great deal of potential for autonomous robotics, scientific discovery, and many other fields as the necessity to generalise from visual observation (from a quotidian scene or from the results of a scientific enquiry) is inherent in various domains. We describe an application to learning rules of a dice game using data from a vision system observing the game being played. In this paper, we experimented with two broad approaches: (i) a predictive learning approach with the Progol system, where explicit concept learning problems are posed and solved, and (ii) a descriptive learning approach with the HR system, where a general theory is formed with no specific problem solving task in mind and rules are extracted from the theory.
KeywordsVision System Production Rule Vision Data Inductive Logic Programming Descriptive Approach
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Colton, S.: Automated Theory Formation in Pure Mathematics. Springer, Heidelberg (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Colton, S., Muggleton, S.: ILP for mathematical discovery. In: Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Inductive Logic Programming (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Magee, D.R., Needham, C.J., Santos, P.E., Rao, S.: Inducing the focus of attention by observing patterns in spac. In: IJCAI Workshop on Modelling Others from Observations (MOO 2005), pp. 47–52 (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.McCune, W.: The OTTER user’s guide. Technical Report ANL/90/9, Argonne National Laboratories (1990)Google Scholar
- 10.Muggleton, S.: Learning from positive data. In: International Conference on Inductive Logic Programming (1996)Google Scholar
- 11.Muggleton, S.: CProgol4.4: a tutorial introduction. In: Relational Data Mining, pp. 160–188. Springer, Heidelberg (2001)Google Scholar
- 13.Quinlan, J., Cameron-Jones, R.: FOIL: A midterm report. In: Brazdil, P.B. (ed.) ECML 1993. LNCS (LNAI), vol. 667. Springer, Heidelberg (1993)Google Scholar