My Photos Are My Bullets – Using Camera as the Primary Means of Player-to-Player Interaction in a Mobile Multiplayer Game
Camera is becoming more common in mobile phones and it is commonly used for exchanging photos between people. The photos could be used for other purposes as well, such as gaming. This paper presents Assassin, a mobile multiplayer game using camera and photos as the main form of player-to-player interaction. The goal in the game is to catch other players in the game without them noticing this. The game is meant to be running in the background of the people’s main activity, such as a working day, and not be played intensively all the time. The game was evaluated with 29 persons in four games organized during the participants’ working days. The results suggest the camera is a very suitable game mechanics for gaming, and the participants in general did not find the game to be a violation of their privacy.
KeywordsMobile Phone Augmented Reality Camera Phone Game Mechanic Mobile Game
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Nokia. The mobile device market, Available online at: http://www.nokia.com/link?cid=EDITORIAL_803
- 2.Bucolo, S., Billinghurst, M., Sickinger, D.: Mobile maze: a comparison of camera based mobile game human interfaces. In: Proceedings of the 7th international Conference on Human Computer interaction with Mobile Devices & Services. MobileHCI 2005, vol. 111, pp. 329–330. ACM Press, New York (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Sony. Eyetoy (2003), Available online at: http://www.eyetoy.com
- 4.Björk, S., Falk, J., Hansson, R., Ljungstrand, P.: Pirates! – using the physical world as a game board. In: Proceedings of the Human-Computer Interaction, INTERACT 2001, pp. 423–430 (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.ARToolKit, Available online at: http://www.hitl.washington.edu/artoolkit/
- 7.Henrysson, A., Ollila, M.: UMAR: Ubiquitous Mobile Augmented Reality. In: Proceedings of the 3rd international Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Multimedia, MUM 2004, vol. 83, pp. 41–45. ACM Press, New York (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Laser Tag, Available online at: http://www.lasertag.org/
- 9.Id software. Quake series, Available online at: http://www.idsoftware.com/
- 10.Eidos Inc. Thief 3, Available online at: http://www.thief3.com/
- 11.Jackson, S.: Killer – the game of assassination, Available online at: http://www.sjgames.com/killer/