A Multiclassifier Approach for Lung Nodule Classification
The aim of this paper is to examine a multiclassifier approach to the classification of the lung nodules in X-ray chest radiographs. The approach investigated here is based on an image region-based classification whose output is the information of the presence or absence of a nodule in an image region. The classification was made, essentially, in two steps: firstly, a set of rotation invariant features was extracted from the responses of a multi-scale and multi-orientation filter bank; secondly, different classifiers (multi-layer perceptrons) are designed using different features sets and trained in different data. These classifiers are further combined in order to improve the classification performance. The obtained results are promising and can be used for reducing the false-positives nodules detected in a computer-aided diagnosis system.
KeywordsHide Layer Pulmonary Nodule Image Region Lung Nodule Nodule Candidate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Wei, J., Hagihara, Y., Shimizu, A., Kobatake, H.: Optimal image feature set for detecting lung nodules on chest X-ray images. In: CARS 2002 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Shiraishi, J., Katsuragawa, S., Ikezoe, J., Matsumoto, T., Kobayashi, T., Komatsu, K.-i., Matsui, M., Fujita, H., Kodera, Y., Doi, K.: Development of a Digital Image Database for Chest Radiographs With and Without a Lung Nodule: Receiver Operating Characteristic Analysis of Radiologists Detection of Pulmonary Nodules. American Journal of Roentgenology 174, 71–74 (2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Randen, T., Husoy, J.H.: Filtering for texture classification: A comparative study. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 21(4) (1999)Google Scholar
- 12.Kumar, A., Pang, G.K.H.: Defect detection in textured materials using Gabor filters. IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications 38(2) (2002)Google Scholar
- 13.Varma, M., Zisserman, A.: Unifying statistical texture classification frameworks. Image and Vision Computing 22, 1175–1183 (2004)Google Scholar