Analysis of Fuzzy Clustering Algorithms for the Segmentation of Burn Wounds Photographs
A widely used practice in Burn Wounds Centres is the incorporation of a photograph of the burned area into the patient’s clinical history. This photograph is used as a reference for each revision of the diagnosis or the therapeutic plan. This article presents the results of the evaluation of various fuzzy clustering algorithms applied to the segmentation of burn wounds images. The study compares recent and classical algorithms in order to establish a better comparison between the benefits of more complex techniques for pixel classification. Our final purpose is to develop a module that provides the medical expert with information on the extension of the burned area.
KeywordsBurned Area Medical Expert Penalization Factor Fuzzy Cluster Algorithm Pixel Classification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.MacG, J.D.: The diagnosis of the depth of burning. The British Journal of SurgeryGoogle Scholar
- 2.Watchel, T.: Critical Care Clinics. In: Symposium on Burns, vol. 1(1), W.B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia (1985)Google Scholar
- 5.Gonzalez, R.C., Woods, R.E.: Digital image processing. Addison-Wesley, Reading (1996)Google Scholar
- 6.Bezdek, J.C.: Fuzzy Mathematics in Pattern Classification, Ph. D. dissertation, Appl. Math., Cornell University, Ithaca, NY (1973)Google Scholar
- 7.Givens Jr., J.A., Gray, M.R., Keller, J.M.: A fuzzy k-nearest neighbour algorithm. In: Bezdek, J.C., Pal, S.K. (eds.) Fuzzy models for pattern recognition: methods that search for structures in data, pp. 258–263. IEEE Press, Los Alamitos (1992)Google Scholar
- 10.Zhong, W.D., Wei, X.X., Jian, Y.P.: Fuzzy C-Means clustering algorithm based on kernel method. In: Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Multimedia Applications, ICCIMA 2003 (2003)Google Scholar