Comparison of Novel Dimension Reduction Methods in Face Verification
The problem of high dimensionality in face verification tasks has recently been simplified by the use of underlying spatial structures as proposed in the Two Dimensional Principal Component Analysis, the Two Dimensional Linear Discriminant Analysis and the Coupled Subspaces Analysis. Besides, the Small Sample Size problem that caused serious difficulties in traditional LDA has been overcome by the spatial approach 2DLDA. The application of these advances to facial verification techniques using different SVM schemes as classification algorithm is here shown. The experiments have been performed over a wide facial database (FRAV2D including 109 subjects), in which only one interest variable was changed in each experiment: illumination, pose, expression or occlusion. For training the SVMs, only two images per subject have been provided to fit in the small sample size problem.
KeywordsFeature Vector Linear Discriminant Analysis Training Image Projected Vector Dimension Reduction Method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Cao, L., Chong, W.: Feature extraction in support vector machine: A comparison of PCA, KPCA and ICA. In: Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Neural Information Processing (ICONIP’OZ), vol. 2, pp. 1001–1005 (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Li, M., Yuan, B.: A novel statistical linear discriminant analysis for image matrix: two-dimensional fisherfaces. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Signal Processing, pp. 1419–1422 (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Xu, D., Yan, S., Zhang, L., Liu, Z., Zhang, H.: Coupled subspace analysis. Technical Report MSR-TR-2004-106, Microsof Research (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Joachims, T.: Making large scale support vector machine learning practical. In: Advances in Kernel Methods: Support Vector Machines. MIT Press, Cambridge (1998)Google Scholar
- 14.Yan, S., Xu, D., Yang, Q., Zhang, L., Tang, X., Zhang, H.: Discriminant analysis with tensor representation. In: IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, vol. 1, p. 526–532 (2005)Google Scholar