A Combined Radial Basis Function Model for Fingerprint Distortion
Most fingerprint recognition techniques are based on minutiae matching and have been well studied. However, this technology still suffers from problems associated with the handling of poor quality impressions. One problem besetting fingerprint matching is distortion. Distortion changes both geometric position and orientation, and leads to difficulties in establishing a match among multiple impressions acquired from the same finger tip. In this paper, according to the particularity of fingerprint distortion, we propose a combined radial basis function (RBF) model, which separately builds rigid and nonrigid transformations, for attacking the distortion problem. Combined RBF model provides more accurate mapping function between a possible matched-pair. Experiments on real data demonstrate the efficacy of the proposed method in improving the compensation of fingerprint distortion.
KeywordsRadial Basis Function Dynamic Time Warping Rigid Transformation False Acceptance Rate False Rejection Rate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Bebis, G., Deaconu, T., Georgiopoulos, M.: Fingerprint identification using delaunay triangulation, pp. 452–459 (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Bhanu, B., Tan, X.J.: Fingerprint indexing based on novel features of minutiae triplets. IEEE Trans. on PAMI 25(5), 616–622 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Cappelli, R., Maio, D., Maltoni, D.: Modelling plastic distortion in fingerprint images. In: Singh, S., Murshed, N., Kropatsch, W.G. (eds.) ICAPR 2001. LNCS, vol. 2013, pp. 369–376. Springer, Heidelberg (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Galton, F.: Fingerprints. Macmillan, London (1892)Google Scholar
- 8.Jain, A.K., Hong, L., Bolle, R.M.: On-line fingerprint verification. IEEE Trans. on PAMI 19(4), 302–313 (1997)Google Scholar
- 9.Liang, X.F.: Fingerprint image analysis using computational geometric techniques, Ph.D. thesis. Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, 68–72 (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Luo, X., Tian, J., Wu, Y.: A minutia matching algorithm in fingerprint verification. In: Proc. of ICPR, vol. 4, pp. 833–836 (2000)Google Scholar
- 14.Senior, A., Bolle, R.: Improved fingerprint matching by distortion removal. IEICE Trans. on INF. & SYST. E84-D(7), 825–832 (2001)Google Scholar
- 15.Kovács-Vajna, Z.M.: A fingerprint verification system based on triangular matching and dynamic time warping. IEEE Trans. on PAMI 22(11), 1266–1276 (2000)Google Scholar