DCT-Domain Image Retrieval Via Block-Edge-Patterns
A new algorithm for compressed image retrieval is proposed in this paper based on DCT block edge patterns. This algorithm directly extract three edge patterns from compressed image data to construct an edge pattern histogram as an indexing key to retrieve images based on their content features. Three feature-based indexing keys are described, which include: (i) the first two features are represented by 3-D and 4-D histograms respectively; and (ii) the third feature is constructed by following the spirit of run-length coding, which is performed on consecutive horizontal and vertical edges. To test and evaluate the proposed algorithms, we carried out two-stage experiments. The results show that our proposed methods are robust to color changes and varied noise. In comparison with existing representative techniques, the proposed algorithms achieves superior performances in terms of retrieval precision and processing speed.
KeywordsImage Retrieval Query Image Vertical Edge Horizontal Edge Pixel Domain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Shih-Fu, C.: Compressed domain techniques for image/video indexing and manipulation. In: IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, pp. 314–317 (1995) Google Scholar
- 7.Lay Jose, A., Guang, L.: Image retrieval based on energy histograms of the low frequency DCT coefficients. In: Proc of International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, Phoenix, Arizona, USA, vol. 6, pp. 3009–3012 (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Zhong, D., Defee, I.: DCT histogrom optimization for image database retrieval. Pattern Recongnition Letters (2005)Google Scholar
- 14.Soltane, S., Kerkeni, N., Angue, J.C.: The use of two dimensional discrete cosine transform for an adaptive approach to image segmentation. In: Proceedings of the SPIE Image and Video Processing IV, pp. 242–251 (1996)Google Scholar
- 15.Shen, B., Sethi, I.K.: Direct feature extraction from compressed images. In: Proc. SPIE: Storage and Retrieval for Still Image and Video Databases IV, March 1996, vol. 2670, pp. 404–414 (1996)Google Scholar
- 17.Li, H., Liu, G., Li, Y.: An effective approach to edge classification from DCT domain. In: Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Image Processing, pp. 940–943 (September 2002)Google Scholar
- 18.Chang, H.S., Kang, K.: A compressed domain scheme for classifying block edge patterns. IEEE Transactions on image processing 14(2) (February 2005)Google Scholar
- 21.MPEG Vancouver Meeting, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11, Experimentation Model Ver.2.0, Doc. N2822 (July 1999)Google Scholar
- 22.Lee, H.Y., Lee, H.K., Ha, Y.H.: Spatial color descriptor for image retrieval and video segmentation. IEEE Transaction on Multimedia 5(3) (September 2003)Google Scholar