Rate Control Algorithm for High Quality Compression of Static Test Image in Digital TV System
In this paper, we propose a new algorithm for generating test bit-stream in high quality to evaluate the static image quality of DTV receiver, based on a target bit allocation in the process of rate control. In order to allocate the number of target bits, we consider the normalized complexities, which are updated or maintained according to GOP picture qualities. The proposed rate control method is suitable for the compression of static test pattern while MPEG-2 Test Model 5 is suitable for moving picture. To evaluate the performance of proposed algorithm, the test bitstream are generated by a MPEG-2 software encoder using the proposed algorithm. Experimental results show that average PSNR of the proposed method is higher than those of the conventional case. With experiment in DTV system, we have confirmed that the proposed algorithm has a stable bit rate and good video quality and it is suitable for evaluation of the DTV receiver.
KeywordsTest Pattern Picture Quality Digital Video Broadcasting Rate Control Algorithm Good Video Quality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Raul, N.: Automated Test System for Digital TV Receivers. In: IEEE International Conference on Consumer Electronics, Los Angeles, USA, pp. 13–15 (June 2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Kavanagh, P.: Patterns for all Format. IEE International Broadcasting Convention 414, 63–69 (1995)Google Scholar
- 5.ISO/IEC JTC1, Information technology - Generic coding of moving pictures and associated audio information, Part 2: Video International Standard (IS), ISO/IEC 13818-2 (March 1996)Google Scholar
- 6.DVB, Digital Broadcasting Systems for Television, Sound and Data Service; Specification for Service Information in Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB) systems, ETSI 300 468 (1996)Google Scholar
- 7.ATSC, ATSC Digital Television Standard, Rev. B, ATSC Standard A/53B with Amendment 1 (August 2001)Google Scholar
- 8.ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11, Test Model 5, Draft (April 1993)Google Scholar
- 9.Lee, J.W., Ho, Y.S.: Target bit matching for MPEG-2 video rate control. In: IEEE Region 10 International Conference on Global Connectivity in Energy, Computer, Communication and Control, vol. 1, pp. 66–69 (September 1998)Google Scholar
- 10.Snell & Wilcox Internet Site, http://www.snellwilcox.com