DCT-Domain Predictive Coding Method for Video Compression
The H.263 Annex I method for the intraframe coding is based on the prediction in DCT domain, unlike JPEG, MPEG-1, and MPEG-2 where the intraframe coding uses block DCT, independent of the neighboring blocks. In this paper, we show the ineffectiveness of H.263 Annex I prediction method by mathematically deriving the spatial domain meaning of H.263 Annex I prediction method. Based on the derivation, we propose a prediction method which is based on the spatial correlation property of image signals. From the experiment and derivation, we verified the proposed method.
KeywordsPrediction Method Video Compression Current Block Neighboring Block Pixel Distance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Roh, B.H., Kim, J.K.: Starting time selection and scheduling methods for minimum cell loss ratio of superposed VBR MPEG video traffic. IEEE Trans. on Circ. Syst. Video Technol., 920–928 (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Kim, H.C., Yoo, K.-Y.: Complexity-scalable DCT-based video coding algorithm for computation limited terminals. IEICE Trans. Communications, 2868–2871 (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Pennebaker, W.B., Mitchell., J.L.: JPEG: still image data compression standard, New York, Van Nostrand (1993)Google Scholar
- 9.MPEG Editorial Group: Coding of moving pictures and associated audio for DSM at upto about 1.5Mbits/s: ISO/IEC 11172-2 Video IS. ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11 (1993)Google Scholar
- 10.MPEG Editorial Group: Generic coding of moving pictures and associated audio: ISO/IEC 13818-2 Video IS. ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11 (1995)Google Scholar
- 11.ITU-T: ITU-T Recommendation H.263, Video coding for low bit rate communication, ITU-T (1998) Google Scholar
- 12.Signal Process. Multimed. Lab., Univ. British Columbia: TMN 8 (H.263+) encoder/decoder, version 3.1.3, TMN 8 (H.263+) Codec (1998)Google Scholar
- 13.Lee, S.H., Yoo, K.-Y., Kim, J.-K.: A convergence analysis of a differential method for 2-D motion parameter estimation. Journal of KICS 23, 1869–1882 (1998)Google Scholar
- 15.Sullivan, G.: Draft Meeting Report of the Eighth Meeting (Meeting H) of the ITU-T Q.15/16, ITU-T Q.15/16, Doc. # Q15-H37d1, Berlin, Germany (1999)Google Scholar