Fast Hermite Projection Method
Fast Hermite projection scheme for image processing and analysis is introduced. It is based on an expansion of image intensity function into a Fourier series using full orthonormal system of Hermite functions instead of trigonometric basis. Hermite functions are the eigenfunctions of the Fourier transform and they are computationally localized both in frequency and spatial domains in the contrast to the trigonometric functions. The acceleration of this expansion procedure is based on Gauss-Hermite quadrature scheme simplified by the replacement of Hermite associated weights and Hermite polynomials by an array of associated constants. This array of associated constants depends on the values of Hermite functions. Image database retrieval and image foveation applications based on 2D fast Hermite projection method have been considered. The proposed acceleration algorithm can be also efficiently used in Hermite transform method.
KeywordsDiscrete Fourier Transform Hermite Polynomial Hermite Function Fast Fourier Transform Method Trigonometric Basis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Szego, G.: Orthogonal Polynomials, vol. 23. American Mathematical Society Colloquium Publications, NY (1959)Google Scholar
- 3.Krylov, A., Kortchagine, D.: Projection filtering in image processing. In: Proceedings Int. Conference Graphicon 2000, Moscow, pp. 42–45 (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Najafi, M., Krylov, A., Kortchagine, D.: Image deblocking with 2-D Hermite transform. In: Proceedings Int. Conference Graphicon 2003, Moscow, pp. 180–183 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Krylov, A., Kortchagine, D.: Hermite Foveation. In: Proceedings Int. Conference Graphicon 2004, Moscow, pp. 166–169 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Krylov, A.S., Kortchagine, D.N., Lukin, A.S.: Streaming Waveform Data Processing by Hermite Expansion for Text-Independent Speaker Indexing from Continuous Speech. In: Proceedings Int. Conference Graphicon 2002, Nizhny Novgorod, pp. 91–98 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Gabor, D.: Theory of Communication. J. IEE (London), part III 93(26), 429–457 (1946)Google Scholar
- 8.Bloom, J.A., Reed, T.R.: An Uncertainty Analysis of Some Real Functions for Image Processing Applications. In: Proceedings of ICIP 1997, pp. III-670–673 (1997)Google Scholar
- 10.Krylov, V.I.: Numerical Integral Evaluation, pp. 116–147. Science, Moscow (1967)Google Scholar