Affine Epipolar Direction from Two Views of a Planar Contour
Most approaches to camera motion estimation from image sequences require matching the projections of at least 4 non-coplanar points in the scene. The case of points lying on a plane has only recently been addressed, using mainly projective cameras. We here study what can be recovered from two uncalibrated views of a planar contour under affine viewing conditions. We prove that the affine epipolar direction can be recovered provided camera motion is free of cyclorotation. The proposed method consists of two steps: 1) computing the affinity between two views by tracking a planar contour, and 2) recovering the epipolar direction by solving a second-order equation on the affinity parameters. Two sets of experiments were performed to evaluate the accuracy of the method. First, synthetic image streams were used to assess the sensitivity of the method to controlled changes in viewing conditions and to image noise. Then, the method was tested under more realistic conditions by using a robot arm to obtain calibrated image streams, which permit comparing our results to ground truth.
KeywordsActive Contour Camera Motion Synthetic Image Camera Model Epipolar Line
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.McLauchlan, P.F., Murray, D.W.: A unifying framework for structure and motion recovery from image sequences. In: Proc. Intl. Conf. on Computer Vision, pp. 314–320 (1995)Google Scholar
- 6.Sturm, P., Maybank, S.J.: On plane-based camera calibration: a general algorithm, singularities, applications. In: Proc. IEEE Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, vol. 1, pp. 432–437 (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Demirdjian, D., Zisserman, A., Horaud, R.: Stereo autocalibration from one plane. In: Proc. 6th European Conf. on Computer Vision, pp. 625–639 (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Bartoli, A., Sturm, P., Horaud, R.: Structure and motion from two uncalibrated views using points on planes. In: Proc. 3rd. Intl. Conf. on 3D Digital Imaging and Modeling, Canada, pp. 83–90 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Kaminski, J.Y., Shashua, A.: On calibration and reconstruction from planar curves. In: Proc. European Conf. on Computer Vision, pp. 678–694 (2000)Google Scholar
- 11.Alberich-Carramiñana, M., Alenyá, G., Andrade-Cetto, J., Martínez, E., Torras, C.: Affine epipolar direction from two views of a planar contour. Technical Report IRI-DT-2005/03, Institute of Robotics (IRI) (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Blake, A., Isard, M.: Active Contours. Springer, Heidelberg (1998)Google Scholar