Automatic Restoration of Old Motion Picture Films Using Spatiotemporal Exemplar-Based Inpainting
This paper presents a method for automatic removal of local defects such as blotches and impulse noise in old motion picture films. The method is fully automatic and includes the following steps: fuzzy prefiltering, motion-compensated blotch detection, and spatiotemporal inpainting. The fuzzy prefilter removes small defective areas such as impulse noise. Modified bidirectional motion estimation with a predictive diamond search is utilized to estimate the motion vectors. The blotches are detected by the rank-ordered-difference method. Detected missing regions are interpolated by a new exemplar-based inpainting approach that operates on three successive frames. The performance of the proposed method is demonstrated on an artificially corrupted image sequence and on a real motion picture film. The results of the experiments show that the proposed method efficiently removes flashing and still blotches and impulse noise from image sequences.
KeywordsMotion Vector Motion Estimation Motion Trajectory Current Frame Impulse Noise
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Goh, W.B., Chong, M.N., Kalra, S., Krishnan, D.: Bi-directional 3D auto-regressive model approach to motion picture restoration. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, Atlanta, USA, pp. 2275–2278 (1996)Google Scholar
- 5.Nadenau, M.J., Mitra, S.K.: Blotch and scratch detection in image sequences based on rank ordered differences. In: Proceedings of the 5th International Workshop on Time-Varying Image Processing and Moving Object Recognition, Florence, Italy, pp. 1–7 (1996)Google Scholar
- 6.Armstrong, S., Kokaram, A.C., Rayner, P.J.W.: Restoring video images taken from scratched 2-inch tape. In: Marshall, S., Harvey, N., Shah, D. (eds.) Workshop on Non-Linear Model Based Image Analysis (NMBIA 1998), pp. 83–88. Springer, Heidelberg (1998)Google Scholar
- 10.Kwan, H.K.: Fuzzy filters for noisy image filtering. In: Proceedings of the 2003 International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS 2003), vol. 4, pp. 161–164 (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Tourapis, A.M., Shen, G., Liou, M.L., Au, O.C., Ahmad, I.: A new predictive diamond search algorithm for block based motion estimation. In: Ngan, K.N., Sikora, T., Sun, M.T. (eds.) Proceedings of Visual Communication and Image Processing, Perth, Australia, pp. 1365–1373 (2000)Google Scholar