Performing Deblocking in Video Coding Based on Spatial-Domain Motion-Compensated Temporal Filtering
Employing block-based motion models in scalable video coding based on spatial-domain motion-compensated temporal filtering (SDMCTF) introduces artificial block-boundary discontinuities that adversely affect the video compression performance, particularly at low bit-rates. This paper focuses on the problem of deblocking in the context of SDMCTF-based video coding. One possible solution to this problem is the use of overlapped-block motion compensation (OBMC). An alternative solution is applying an adaptive deblocking filter, similar to the one used in H.264. With this respect, a novel adaptive deblocking filter, tailored to SDMCTF video coding is proposed. In terms of visual-quality, both approaches yield similar performance. However, adaptive deblocking is less complex than OBMC, as it requires up to 34% less processing time. Experimental results show that the two techniques significantly improve the subjective and objective quality of the decoded sequences, confirming the expected benefits brought by deblocking in SDMCTF-based video coding.
KeywordsMotion Vector Video Code Motion Compensation Scalable Video Code Block Boundary
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Luo, L., Wu, F., Li, S., Xiong, Z., Zhuang, Z.: Advanced motion threading for 3D wavelet video coding. Signal Processing: Image Communication, Special issue on subband/wavelet interframe video coding 19, 601–616 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Wiegand, T., Sullivan, G.: Draft ITU-T recommendation and final draft international standard of joint video specification. ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11 and ITU-T SG16 Q.6Google Scholar
- 7.Pesquet-Popescu, B., Bottreau, V.: Three-dimensional lifting schemes for motion compensated video compression. In: Proceedings of International Conference on Accoustics Speech and Signal Proccesing, ICASSP 2001, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, vol. 3, pp. 1793–1796 (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Secker, A., Taubman, D.: Motion-compensated highly scalable video compression using adaptive 3D wavelet transform based on lifting. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, ICIP 2001, Thessaloniki, Greece, vol. 2, pp. 1029–1032 (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Watanabe, H., Singhal, S.: Windowed motion compensation. In: Proceedings of SPIE Conference on Visual Communication and Image Processing, vol. 1605, pp. 582–589 (1991)Google Scholar
- 10.Nogaki, S., Ohta, M.: An overlapped block motion compensation for high quality motion picture coding. In: Proceedings of IEEE Symposium on Circuits and Systems, pp. 184–187 (1992)Google Scholar
- 12.Xiong, R., Wu, F., Li, S., Xiong, Z., Zhang, Y.-Q.: Exploiting temporal correlation with adaptive block-size motion alignment for 3D wavelet coding. In: Proceedings of Visual Communications and Image Processing 2004, San Jose, California, vol. 5308, pp. 144–155 (2004)Google Scholar