New Intra Luma Prediction Mode in H.264/AVC Using Collocated Weighted Chroma Pixel Value
Intra coding in current hybrid video coding method has very important functionality like low delay in decoder, random access and error resilience. Unfortunately coding efficiency of intra frame is very low relative to inter frame coding because of mismatch between current block and its predicted block. In this paper, new intra luma prediction algorithm which improves intra coding efficiency is proposed. The proposed additional intra luma prediction mode uses collocated chroma pixels and weight values to estimate correct spatial pattern of coded block. From neighboring blocks, weight value between chroma and luma values is calculated and then the predicted luma block is obtained by multiplying calculated weight value and collocated upsampled chroma block. The proposed method is effective for complex or non-directional macroblocks and experimental results show that the efficiency of intra coding is increased up to 0.6 dB.
KeywordsVideo Code Prediction Mode Current Block Intra Prediction Neighboring Block
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ISO/IEC 14496.10:2003, Coding of Audiovisual Objects. Part 10: Advanced Video Coding. Also ITU-T Recommendation H.264 Advanced video coding for generic audiovisual services (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.ISO/IEC 15441-1:2000, Information Technology: JPEG 2000 Image Coding System. Part 1: ISO/IEC-Core Coding System Google Scholar
- 3.ISO/IEC 13818-2:2000, Information technology – Generic coding of moving pictures and associated audio information: VideoGoogle Scholar
- 4.ISO/IEC 14496-2:2004, Information technology – Coding of audio-visual objects – Part 2: VisualGoogle Scholar
- 5.Sullivan, G.J., Wiegand, T.: Rate-Distortion Optimization for Video Compression. IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, 74–90 (November 1998)Google Scholar