Quality Control of Metadata: A Case with UNIMARC
UNIMARC is a family of bibliographic metadata schemas with formats for descriptive information, classification, authorities and holdings. This paper describes the automation of quality control processes required in order to monitor and enforce quality of UNIMARC records. The results are accomplished by format schemas expressed in XML. This paper also describes the tools that take advantage of this technology to support the quality control processes, as also its actual applications in services at the National Library of Portugal.
KeywordsFormat Schema Quality Control Process Bibliographic Record Schema Language Descriptive Metadata
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.IFLA – International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions, http://www.ifla.org
- 2.LOC - MARC Standards, MARC in XML (September 2004), http://www.loc.gov/marc/marcxml.html
- 3.XML Schema, http://www.w3.org/XML/Schema
- 4.XML Schema, http://relaxng.org
- 5.Schematron, http://www.schematron.com
- 6.Moats, R.: URN Syntax. RFC 2141 (May 1997)Google Scholar