Collaborative Web-Based 3D Masterplanning
This paper describes an approach to empowering heterogeneous groups of people to share the tasks of digitising and updating buildings that may convey a credible sense of presence. We argue that more effective tools are required to clearly display alternative and ad-hoc local planning proposals in web based interactive 3D, free at the point of access. Initial workshops have shown that such tools are only likely to be used if those so doing can influence the outcome. Consensus needs to be obtained among a broad group to exert strong influence. Tools are therefore needed to share concerns, examine alternatives, and propose solutions through collaborative citizen based proposals, examination and discussion. Consequently the VEPs Interreg project has been examining how to optimise shared web based collaborative digital 3D modelling and discussion, focused on urban and rural environments, where the increasing availability of LiDAR laser scanning offers appropriately accurate remote sensed data.
KeywordsAerial Imagery Collaborative Discussion Narrative Explanation Credible Sense Initial Workshop
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Richman, A., Hamilton, A., Arayici, Y., Counsell, J., Tkhelidze, B.: Remote Sensing, LIDAR, automated data capture and the VEPS project. In: Banissi, et al. (eds.) Proceedings of IV 2005 9th Intl. Conference on Information Visualisation, London. IEEE Computer Soc., Los Alamitos (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.The PointingDeviceSensor is defined in the emerging standard for X3D at, http://www.web3d.org/x3d/specifications/ISO-IEC-19775-X3DAbstractSpecification_+_Amendment1_to_Part1/Part01/components/pointingsensor.html
- 7.Counsell, J., Bates-Brkljac, N., Smith, S.: GIS based Urban Information Systems as a basis for the generation of complex 3D VRML models. In Studies in Regional and Urban Planning Issue 10, 129–139 (August 2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Eisenstein, S.: The Film Sense Harcourt Brace & co. (1946)Google Scholar
- 9.Boyd Davis, S., et al.: The Design of Virtual Environments with particular reference to VRML, published by the JISC Advisory Group on Computer Graphics in the UK (1996), http://www.agocg.ac.uk/reports/virtual/vrmldes/vrmldes.pdf
- 11.ENP Design Guide, published by the National Park Authority (1979), www.exmoor-nationalpark.gov.uk/index/learning_about/learning_publications.htm