Towards a Two-Scale Cellular Automata Model of Tumour-Induced Angiogenesis
This paper presents a new framework for modelling tumour-induced angiogenesis. Classical Cellular Automata approach is employed to model cellular and intracellular processes that occur in cancer tissue and neighbourhood. Vascular system is modelled by using Graph of Cellular Automata, which combines graph theory with Cellular Automata paradigm. A new model is proposed as a starting point for further investigations on multiscale model covering wide range of spatio-temporal scales including blood flow processes. The basis of the model with the algorithms are presented. Preliminary results with short discussion are also included.
KeywordsCellular Automaton Vascular Network Transportation Network Capillary Vessel Vessel Network
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Carmeliet, P.: Angiogenesis in life, disease and medicine. Nature 438 (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Carmeliet, P., Jain, R.K.: Angiogenesis in cancer and other disease. Nature 407 (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Mantzaris, N.V., Webb, S., Othmer, H.G.: Mathematical modeling of tumour-induced angiogenesis. J. Math. Biol. (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Coultas, L., Chawengsaksophak, K., Rossant, J.: Endothelial cells and VEGF in vascular development. Nature 438 December 15 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Ferrar, N., Kerbel, R.S.: Angiogenesis as a therapeutic target. Nature 438 (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Stokes, C.L.: Lauffenburger: Analysis of the roles of microvessel endothelial cell random motility and chemotaxis in angiogenesis. J. Thoer. Biol. 152 (1991)Google Scholar
- 13.Topa, P., Dzwinel, W., Yuen, D.: A multiscale cellular automata model for simulating complex transport systems. Int. J. Mod. Phys. C (accepted for publication) (2006)Google Scholar