Enhanced Theorem Reuse by Partial Theory Inclusions
Finding new theorems is essential for the general progress in mathematics. Apart from creating and proving completely new theorems progress can also be achieved by theorem reuse; i.e. by translating theorems from related theories into the target theory and proving its translated premises under which the theorem was proven. This approach is pursued by the ”little theories” and the development graph paradigms. This work suggests an improvement in this direction in two aspects: partial theory inclusions enhances theorem reuse and formula matching to support automated detection of theory inclusions. By representing theory axioms as facts and partial theories (i.e. theorems and their minimal set of premises) as horn clauses, reusable theorems correspond to derived facts such that model generator like KRHyper can be used for this task.
KeywordsTransitive Closure Horn Clause Proof Obligation Target Theory Partial Theory
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Autexier, S., Hutter, D.: Maintenance of formal software developments by stratified verification (2002), http://www.dfki.de/vse/papers/ah02.ps.gz
- 3.Farmer, W.M., Guttman, J.D., Thayer, F.J.: The imps user’s manual. Technical Report M-93B138, The mitre Corporation (1993)Google Scholar
- 4.Farmer, W., Guttman, J., Thayer, X.: Little theories. In: Kapur, D. (ed.) CADE 1992. LNCS, vol. 607, pp. 567–581. Springer, Heidelberg (1992)Google Scholar
- 5.Goguen, J.A., Burstall, R.M.: Introducing institutions. In: Clarke, E., Kozen, D. (eds.) Logic of Programs 1983. LNCS, vol. 164. Springer, Heidelberg (1984)Google Scholar
- 6.Graf, P., Meyer, C.: Advanced indexing operations on substitution trees. In: Conference on Automated Deduction, pp. 553–567 (1996)Google Scholar
- 8.Meseguer, J.: General logics. In: Logic Colloquium, vol. 87, pp. 275–329. North-Holland, Amsterdam (1989)Google Scholar
- 9.Normann, I.: Extended normalization for e-retrieval of formulae. In: Proceedings of Communicating Mathematics in the Digital Era (to appear, 2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Mossakowski, K.L.T., Maeder, C., Wölfl, S.: Hets, http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/agbkb/forschung/formal_methods/CoFI/hets/
- 11.Wernhard, C.: System description: Krhyper (2003)Google Scholar