A Logic-Based Tool for Semantic Information Extraction
Recognizing and extracting meaningful information from unstructured Web documents, taking into account their semantics, is an important problem in information and knowledge management. This paper describes H\(\imath\)LεX, a system implementing a novel logic-based approach to information extraction from unstructured documents. The approach adopted in the H\(\imath\)LεX system is founded on a new two-dimensional representation of documents, and heavily exploits DLP + – an extension of disjunctive logic programming for ontology representation and reasoning, which has been recently implemented on top of the DLV system. Unlike previous systems, which are mainly syntactic, H\(\imath\)LεX combines both semantic and syntactic knowledge for a powerful information extraction. Ontologies, representing the semantics of the domain of the information to be extracted, are encoded in DLP + , while the extraction patterns are encoded by regular expressions in an ad hoc two-dimensional grammar. These regular expressions are (internally) translated into DLP + rules, whose execution yields the actual extraction of information from the input document. H\(\imath\)LεX allows the semantic information extraction from both HTML pages and flat text documents. The usefulness of Hilex has been already confirmed also in practice, as the system has been successfully employed in two advanced applications in the e-health and e-finance domains.
KeywordsRegular Expression Information Extraction Domain Ontology Input Document Italian National Research Council
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Baumgartner, R., Flesca, S., Gottlob, G.: Declarative information extraction, web crawling, and recursive wrapping with Lixto. In: Eiter, T., Faber, W., Truszczyński, M. (eds.) LPNMR 2001. LNCS, vol. 2173, pp. 21–41. Springer, Heidelberg (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Eikvil, L.: Information extraction from world wide web - a survey. Technical Report 945, Norweigan Computing Center (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Giammarresi, D., Restivo, A.: Two-dimensional languages. In: Handbook of Formal Languages, Beyond Words, vol. 3, pp. 215–267. Springer, Berlin (1997)Google Scholar
- 5.Laender, A., Ribeiro-Neto, B., Silva, A., Teixeira, J.: A brief survey of web data extraction tools. In: SIGMOD Record, vol. 31 (June 2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Leone, N., Pfeifer, G., Faber, W., Eiter, T., Gottlob, G., Perri, S., Scarcello, F.: The DLV System for Knowledge Representation and Reasoning. In: ACM TOCL 2006 (2006) (forthcoming)Google Scholar
- 7.Ricca, F., Leone, N.: Disjunctive Logic Programming with types and objects: The DLV + System. Journal of Applied Logic (forthcoming, 2006)Google Scholar