A Feature Selection Methodology for Steganalysis
This paper presents a methodology to select features before training a classifier based on Support Vector Machines (SVM). In this study 23 features presented in  are analysed. A feature ranking is performed using a fast classifier called K-Nearest-Neighbours combined with a forward selection. The result of the feature selection is afterward tested on SVM to select the optimal number of features. This method is tested with the Outguess steganographic software and 14 features are selected while keeping the same classification performances. Results confirm that the selected features are efficient for a wide variety of embedding rates. The same methodology is also applied for Steghide and F5 to see if feature selection is possible on these schemes.
KeywordsSupport Vector Machine Feature Selection Feature Selection Method Stego Image Noise Estimation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Dumitrescu, S., Wu, X., Wang, Z.: Detection of LSB steganography via sample pair analysis. IEEE transactions on Signal Processing, 1995–2007 (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Roue, B., Bas, P., Chassery, J.-M.: Improving lsb steganalysis using marginal and joint probabilistic distributions. In: Multimedia and Security Workshop, Magdeburg (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Weston, J., Mukherjee, S., Chapelle, O., Pontil, M., Poggio, T., Vapnik, V.: Feature selection for SVMs. In: Leen, T.K., Dietterich, T.G., Tresp, V. (eds.) NIPS, pp. 668–674. MIT Press, Cambridge (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Zhang, T.: An introduction to support vector machines and other kernel-based learning methods. AI Magazine, 103–104 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Provos, N.: Defending against statistical steganalysis. In: USENIX (ed.) Proceedings of the Tenth USENIX Security Symposium, Washington, DC, USA, August 13–17 (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Ronneberger, O.: Libsvmtl extensions to libsvm (2004), http://lmb.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/lmbsoft/libsvmtl/