Affine Invariant Gradient Based Shape Descriptor
This paper presents an affine invariant shape descriptor which could be applied to both binary and gray-level images. The proposed algorithm uses gradient based features which are extracted along the object boundaries. We use two-dimensional steerable G-Filters  to obtain gradient information at different orientations. We aggregate the gradients into a shape signature. The signatures derived from rotated objects are shifted versions of the signatures derived from the original object. The shape descriptor is defined as the Fourier transform of the signature. We also provide a distance definition for the proposed descriptor taking shifted property of the signature into account. The performance of the proposed descriptor is evaluated over a database containing license plate characters. The experiments show that the devised method outperforms other well-known Fourier-based shape descriptors such as centroid distance and boundary curvature.
KeywordsRecognition Rate Object Boundary Shape Descriptor Retrieval Performance Shape Signature
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kurt, B., Gökmen, M.: Two Dimensional Generalized Edge Detector. In: 10th International Conference on Image Analysis and Processing (ICIAP 1999), Venice, Italy, pp. 148–151 (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Veltkamp, R., Hagedoorn, M.: State-of-the-art in Shape Matching, Technical Report UU-CS-1999Google Scholar
- 6.Yokono, J.J., Poggio, T.: Oriented Filters for Object Recognition: an Empirical Study. Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition, 755–760 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Balard, D.H., Wixson, L.E.: Object recognition using steerable filters at multiple scales. Qualitative Vision. In: Proceedings of IEEE Workshop, pp. 2–10 (June 1993)Google Scholar
- 8.Talleux, S., Tavşanoğlu, V., Tufan, E.: Handwritten Character Recognition using Steerable Filters and Neural Networks. In: ISCAS 1998, pp. 341–344 (1998)Google Scholar
- 10.Zhang, D., Lu, G.: A comparative study of curvature scale space and Fourier descriptors for shape-based image retrieval. Journal of VCIR 14, 39–57 (2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Antani, S., Leeb, D.J., Longa, L.R., Thoma, G.R.: Evaluation of shape similarity measurement methods for spine X-ray images. Journal of VCIR 15, 285–302 (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Phokharatkul, P., Kimpan, C.: Handwritten Thai Character Recognition Using Fourier Descriptors and Genetic Neural Network. CI 18(3), 270–293 (2002)Google Scholar