PCA and LDA Based Face Recognition Using Feedforward Neural Network Classifier
Principal component analysis (PCA) and Linear Discriminant Analysis (LDA) techniques are among the most common feature extraction techniques used for the recognition of faces. In this paper, two face recognition systems, one based on the PCA followed by a feedforward neural network (FFNN) called PCA-NN, and the other based on LDA followed by a FFNN called LDA-NN, are developed. The two systems consist of two phases which are the PCA or LDA preprocessing phase, and the neural network classification phase. The proposed systems show improvement on the recognition rates over the conventional LDA and PCA face recognition systems that use Euclidean Distance based classifier. Additionally, the recognition performance of LDA-NN is higher than the PCA-NN among the proposed systems.
KeywordsPrincipal Component Analysis Face Recognition Linear Discriminant Analysis Face Image Training Image
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Bledsoe, W.W.: The Model Method in Facial Recognition, Panoramic Research Inc., Palo Alto, CA, Rep. PRI:15 (1966) Google Scholar
- 4.Bledsoe, W.W.: Man-Machine Facial Recognition, Panoramic Research Inc., Palo Alto, CA, Rep. PRI:22 (1966) Google Scholar
- 5.Fischler, M.A., Elschlager, R.A.: The Representation and Matching of Pictorial Structures. IEEE Trans. on Computers, c-22.1 (1973)Google Scholar
- 8.Kirby, M., Sirovich, L.: Application of the Karhunen-Loeve Procedure for the Characterization of Human Faces. IEEE PAMI 12, 103–108 (1990)Google Scholar
- 12.Moghaddam, B., Pentland, A.: Probabilistic visual learning for object recognition. PAMI 9(7), 696–710 (1997)Google Scholar
- 13.Belhumeur, P., Hespanha, J., Kriegman, D.: Using discriminant eigenfeatures for image retrieval. PAMI 19(7), 711–720 (1997)Google Scholar
- 14.Zhao, W., Chellappa, R., Nandhakumar, N.: Empirical performance analysis of linear discriminant classifiers. In: Proc. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, Santa Barbara, CA, pp. 164–169 (1998)Google Scholar
- 16.Zhujie, Yu, Y.L.: Face Recognition with Eigenfaces. In: Proc. of the IEEE Intl. Conf., pp. 434–438 (1994)Google Scholar
- 18.AT & T Laboratories Cambridge. The ORL Database of faces, http://www.cam-orl.co.uk/facedatabase.html