Proxy-Based Service Discovery and Network Selection in 6LoWPAN
Low Power Wireless Personal Area Networks (LoWPANs) have emerged as a catalyst technology for the realization of envisioned ubiquitous paragon. Considerable efforts are being carried on to integrate these LoWPANs with IP-based networks in order to make use of pervasive nature and existing infrastructure associated with IP-based technology. Provisioning of service discovery and network selection in such environments puts heavy communication and processing overhead. The access to closest services localizes the communication and increases the total network capacity. We introduce directory proxy agents to be deployed within LoWPANs in order to localize the service discovery communication. We also propose algorithms to make sure that service users are always connected to the closest proxy agent. The results show that our algorithms help finding the closest services and reduce the traffic overhead for service discovery considerably in LoWPANs.
KeywordsService Discovery Control Packet User Agent Network Selection Directory Agent
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.IEEE LoWPAN Standard 802.15.4-2003, http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/-802.15.html
- 2.ZigBee Alliance, http://www.zigbee.org
- 3.IPv6 over Low Power WPAN Working Group, http://www.ietf.org/html-.charters/6lowpan-charter.html
- 4.Internet Engineering Task Force, http://www.ietf.org/
- 5.Guttman, E., Perkins, C., Veizades, J., Day, M.: SLPv2: Service Location Protocol, Version 2. RFC 2608 (June 1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Kim, K., Yoo, S., Kim, H., Park, S.D., Lee, J.: Draft-daniel-6lowpan. Simple Service location Protocol (SSLP) for LoWPAN. draft-daniel-6lowpan-sslp-00, July 9 (work in progress) (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Universal Plug and Play, http://www.upnp.org/
- 10.Zhu, F., Mutka, W.M., Ni, L.M.: Service Discovery in Pervasive Computing Environments. IEEE Pervasive computing, 81–90 (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Tilak, S., Chiu, K., Abu-Ghazaleh, N.B., Fountain, T.: Dynamic Resource Discovery for Wireless Sensor Networks. IFIP-NCUS (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Sethom, K., Afifi, H.: A New Service Discovery Architecture for Sensor Networks. In: Wireless Telecommunications Symposium, WTS, California (2005)Google Scholar
- 13.Kim, K., Yoo, S., Park, J., Park, S.D., Lee, J.: Hierarchical Routing over 6LoWPAN (HiLow). Draft-daniel-6lowpan-hilow-hierarchical-routing-00.txt (work in progress) (2005)Google Scholar