Do We Really Need Dynamic Wavelength-Routed Optical Networks?
It is widely believed that dynamic operation in wavelength-routed optical networks could overcome the inefficiencies of static allocation in wavelength usage. In this paper this hypothesis is reviewed by quantifying the wavelength requirements in dynamic wavelength-routed optical networks and the comparison of these to those of the static approach. To do so, new analytical and heuristic lower bounds for the wavelength requirements in dynamic networks are proposed. They are used to evaluate the optimality of existing algorithms whose wavelength requirements are evaluated by means of simulation. Results show that dynamic wavelength-routed optical networks can save wavelengths only at low traffic loads (<0.4) and that the highest savings are achieved in sparsely physically connected networks.
KeywordsOptical Network Node Pair Average Path Length Wavelength Converter IEEE Communication Magazine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Coffman, K.G., Odlyzko, A.M.: Growth of the Internet. In: Kaminow, I.P., Li, T. (eds.) Optical Fiber Communication - vol. IV-B: Systems and Impairments, pp. 17–56. Academic Press, San Diego (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Agrawal, G.: Fiber-Optic Communication Systems, ch. 8, 3rd edn. Wiley-Interscience, Wiley & Sons (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Post-deadline papers in Proceedings of 31st European Conference on Optical Communications. In: ECOC 2005, Glasgow, Scotland (September 2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Assi, C., et al.: Impact of wavelength converters on the performance of optical networks. Optical Networks Magazine 3(2), 22–30 (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Odlyzko, A.: Data networks are lightly utilized, and will stay that way. Rev. Network Economics 2, 210–237 (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Ross, S.: A first course in Probability, 6th edn., p. 206. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (2002)Google Scholar
- 15.Düser, M., Zapata, A., Bayvel, P.: Investigation of the Scalability of Dynamic Wavelength-Routed Optical Networks. J. of Optical Networking 3, 667–686 (2004)Google Scholar
- 17.Chlamtac, I., Ganz, A., Karmi, G.: Purely optical networks for terabit communication. In: Proceedings of INFOCOM 1989, Ottawa, Canada, vol. 3, pp. 887–896 (April 1989)Google Scholar