Periodic Message Scheduling on a Switched Ethernet for Hard Real-Time Communication
This paper proposes a message transmission model for hard real-time communications of periodic messages on a switched Ethernet and also proposes an algorithm to schedule the messages to be transmitted within their deadlines. The proposed scheduling algorithm is a distributed one and is performed by the source and the destination nodes without the modification of the operational features of the standard Ethernet switch. When a new periodic message needs to be transmitted, it is first checked whether it can be scheduled on both the transmission and the reception links without affecting the already-schedlued messages, and a feasible schedule is made for the new message if it is schedulable. The proposed scheduling algorithm guarantees the transmission of periodic messages within their deadline and allows flexible message transmission on a hard real-time switched Ethernet.
KeywordsSource Node Schedule Algorithm Destination Node Message Transmission Message Length
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Jasperneit, J., Neumann, P.: Switched ethernet for factory communication. In: Proc. of ETFA, Antibes, France, pp. 205–212 (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Varadarajan, S., Chiueh, T.: EtheReal: A host-transparent real-time fast Ethernet switch. In: Proc. of ICNP, pp. 12–21 (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Hoang, H., Jonsson, M., Hagstrom, U., Kallerdahl, A.: Switched real-time ethernet with earliest deadline first scheduling- protocols and traffic handling. In: Proc. of IPDPS, Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA, pp. 94–99 (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Loeser, J., Haertig, H.: Low-latency hard real-time communication over switched Ethernet. In: Proc. ECRTS, Catania, Italy (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Kweon, S.K., Shin, K.G., Workman, G.: Achieving real-time communication over Ethernet with adaptive traffic shaping. In: Proc. RTAS, pp. 90–100 (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Pedreiras, P., Almeida, L., Gai, P.: The FTT-Ethernet protocol: Merging flexibility, timeliness and efficiency. In: Proc. ECRTS, pp. 134–142 (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Linux with high resolution POSIX timers, http://sourceforge.net/projects/high-res-timers
- 9.Libnet netwroking library, http://libnet.sourceforge.net
- 10.Libpacp packet capture library, http://ee.lbl.gov