Virtual Hierarchy Synthesis for Hybrid Mobile Ad Hoc Networks
The interconnection of mobile ad hoc networks to fixed IP networks is one of the topics receiving more attention within the MANET working group of the IETF. In such integrated scenarios, commonly known as hybrid ad hoc networks, mobile nodes are witnessed as an easily deployable extension to the exiting infrastructure. Some ad hoc nodes act as gateway that can be used by other nodes to seamlessly communicate with hosts in the fixed network. Therefore, this research brings up several issues regarding Internet gateway discovery and address auto-configuration to be routable to the fixed Internet. In this paper, we focus on these elements to guarantee smooth interworking. The proposed Virtual Hierarchy Synthesis (VHS) scheme provides the efficient gateway discovery and optimal routing protocol are suitable in high mobility hybrid MANETs.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Johnson, D., Maltz, D., Jetcheva, J.: The dynamic source routing protocol for mobile ad hoc networks, IETF, draft-ietf-manet-dsr-10.txt (July 2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Perkins, C.E., et al.: Ad hoc on-demand destance vector (AODV) routing, IETF, RFC 3561 (July 2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Perkins, C.E., Watson, T.J.: Highly dynamic destination-sequenced distance vector routing (DSDV) for mobile computers. In: ACM SIGCOMM 1994 (October 1994)Google Scholar
- 4.Johnson, D., Perkins, C.E., Arkko, J.: Mobility Support in IPv6, IETF, RFC 3775 (June 2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Broch, J., Maltz, D.A., Johnson, D.B.: Supporting Hierarchy and Heterogenous Interfaces in Multi-Hop Wireless Ad Hoc Networks. In: IEEE International Symposium on Parallel Architectures, algorithms and Networks (June 1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Johnsson, U., et al.: MIPMANET-Mobile IP for mobile ad hoc networks. In: IEEE Proc. of MobiHoc 2000 (August 2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Almmari, H., El-Rewini, H.: Performance Evaluation of Hybrid Environments with Mobile Gateways. In: 9th International Symposium on Computers and Communications (June 2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Hwang, R.H., et al.: Mobile IPv6-Based Ad Hoc Networks: Its Development and Application. IEEE JSAC 23(11) (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Narten, T., Nordmark, E., Simpson, W.: Neighbor Discovery for IP Version 6 (IPv6), IETF, RFC 2461 (December 1998)Google Scholar