Heuristic for Two-Level Cache Hierarchy Exploration Considering Energy Consumption and Performance
In this work is presented an automated method for adjusting two-level cache memory hierarchy in order to reduce energy consumption in embedded applications. The proposed heuristic, TECH-CYCLES (Two-level Cache Exploration Heuristicconsidering CYCLES), consists of making a small search in the space of configurations of the two-level cache hierarchy, analyzing the impact of each parameter in terms of energy and number of cycles spent for a given application. Experiments show an average reduction of about 41% in the energy consumption by using our heuristic when compared with the existing heuristic (TCaT), also for two-level caches. Besides the energy improvement, this method also reduces the number of cycles needed to execute a given application by about 25%. In order to validate the proposed heuristic, twelve benchmarks from the MiBench suite have been used.
KeywordsCache Size Data Cache Instruction Cache Cache Hierarchy Cache Associativity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chang, H., Code, L., Hunt, M., Martin, G., McNelly, A.J., Todd, L.: Surviving the SOC revolution: A guide to platform-based design, 1st edn. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Malik, B.M., Cermak, D.: A Low Power Unified Cache Architecture Providing Power and Performance Flexibility. In: Int. Symp. On Low Power Electronics and Design, June 2000, pp. 241–243 (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Zhang, D., Vahid, F.: Cache configuration exploration on prototyping platforms. In: 14th IEEE Interational Workshop on Rapid System Prototyping, June 2003, p. 164 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Gordon-Ross, A., Vahid, F., Dutt, N.: Automatic Tuning of Two-Level Caches to Embedded Aplications. In: DATE, pp. 208–213 (February 2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Gordon-Ross, A., Vahid, F., Dutt, N.: Fast Configurable-Cache Tuning with a Unified Second-Level Cache. In: ISLPED 2005 (August 2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Palesi, M., Givargis, T.: Multi-objective design space exploration using genetic algorithms. In: International Workshop on Hardware/Software Codesign (May 2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Silva-Filho, A.G., Lima, M.E.: A Heuristic for Energy Consumption Exploration Based on Two-Level Cache Hierarchy. In: Forum SoC 2005 (December 2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Silva-Filho, A.G., Lima, M.E., Nascimento, P.S.B., Eskinazi, R.: An Energy-Aware Exploration Approach Based on Open Software Enviroment. In: IESS 2005, July 2005, pp. 97–102 (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Guttaus, M.R., Ringenberg, J.S., Ernst, D., Austin, T.M., Mudge, T., Brown, R.B.: Mibench: A free, commercially representative embedded benchmark suite. In: IEEE 4th Annual Workshop on Workload Characterization, pp. 1–12 (December 2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Dutt, N., Mamidipaka, M.: eCACTI: An Enhanced Power Estimation Model for On-chip Caches, TR 04-28 (september 2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Shivakumar, P., Jouppi, N.P.: Cacti 3.0: An Integrated Cache Timing, Power and Area model, WRL Research Report 2001/2Google Scholar