Leakage Power Characterization Considering Process Variations
We present a novel technique to accurately describe the leakage power in CMOS nanometer Integrated Circuits (ICs) considering process variations. The model predicts a leakage power increment due to process variations with high accuracy. It is shown that leakage increases considerably as channel length variations become larger due to technology scaling. The present work also describes accurately the dependence of leakage dispersion with process variations. The model developed shows that, even if channel length variations are kept small the leakage dispersion is considerably large. Finally, the concept of “Hot Gates” (HGs) is introduced, showing that HGs will be an important reliability factor in near future nanometer technologies.
KeywordsThreshold Voltage Channel Length Substrate Doping Total Leakage Technology Scaling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Jao, J., Narendra, S., Chandrakasan, A.: Subthreshold Leakage Modeling and Reduction Techniques. In: Proc. International Conference on Computer-Aided Design (ICCAD 2002) (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Zhang, S., Wason, V., Banerjee, K.: A probabilistic framework to estimate full-chip sub-threshold leakage power distribution considering within-die and die-to-die P-T-V variations. In: Proc. ISLPED 2004, Newport Beach, CA, USA, August 2004, pp. 156–161 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Srivastava, A., Bai, R., Blaauw, D., Sylvester, D.: Modeling and analysis of leakage power considering within-die process variations. In: Proc. ISLPED 2002, Monterey, CA, USA, August 2002, pp. 64–67 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Rossello, J.L., Bota, S., Rosales, M., Keshavarzi, A., Segura, J.: Thermal-aware design rules for nanometer ICs. In: Proc. THERMINIC 2005, Belgirate, Italy (September 2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Bota, S., Rosales, M., Rosselló, J.L., Keshavarzi, A., Segura, J.: Within die thermal gradient impact on clock skew: a new type of delay-fault mechanism. In: Proc. ITC 2004, Charlotte, USA (October 2004)Google Scholar