Techniques to Enhance the Resistance of Precharged Busses to Differential Power Analysis
In this communication, different techniques to improve the resistance to Differential Power Analysis (DPA) attacks of precharged busses are discussed. These statistical attacks rely on the observation of the power consumption, and are very effective in recovering confidential information that are stored or processed in SmartCards running cryptographic algorithms. Accordingly, a few techniques to improve the information security by reducing the effectiveness of DPA attacks are discussed. These techniques are statistically analyzed and compared in terms of DPA resistance, power and area overhead. Finally, these techniques are mixed to improve the robustness to DPA attacks. Cycle-accurate simulations on DES encryption algorithm running on a MIPS32® architecture are used to validate the discussed techniques.
KeywordsPower Consumption Balance Line Information Leakage Area Overhead Mixed Approach
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Rankl, W., Effing, W.: SmartCard Handbook. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Kocher, P.C.: Timing Attacks on Implementations of Diffie-Hellman, RSA, DSS, and Other Systems. In: Koblitz, N. (ed.) CRYPTO 1996. LNCS, vol. 1109, pp. 104–113. Springer, Heidelberg (1996)Google Scholar
- 5.Kocher, P.C., Jaffe, J., Jun, B.: Differential Power Analysis. In: Wiener, M. (ed.) CRYPTO 1999. LNCS, vol. 1666, pp. 388–397. Springer, Heidelberg (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Messerges, T.S., Dabbish, E.A., Sloan, R.H.: Investigations of power analysis attacks on SmartCards. In: Proc. of USENIX Workshop on Smartcard Technology, Chicago, USA (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Rabaey, J., Chandrakasan, A., Nikolic, B.: Digital Integrated Circuits (A Design Perspective). Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (2003)Google Scholar
- 12.MIPS Technologies Inc., http://www.mips.com
- 13.Federal Information Processing Standards Publication (FIPS PUB) 46-3, http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/fips/fips46-3/fips46-3.pdf
- 14.National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Special Publication 800-17, http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-17/800-17.pdf